Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lost my only key cus I'm too much of a procrastinator to have made a spare before, now I'm looking for the key code.

I found a sticker on the frame between the forks, big black and white sticker that says "Honda Rebel 2009, etc etc." and part of it in small letters says KEN - B30, am I lucky enough to have found it real simple like? Or is that somethin' else? Been lost for a few days and I'm gettin' desperate to ride anything with two wheels on it.

I have some pictures of the sticker if I'm not describin' quite right.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
If it is the key number it would be B30. The key numbers are 3 didgits with the first being a letter. I have heard you can locate the key number under the steering lock or the helmet lock and under the ignition switch. The first 2 areas are the easiest to remove.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
On the 450, you have to remove ignition (after the cover is off, 2 bolts) and then you will see it on the cylinder part.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sticker I found has the VIN number and other random specifications so I'm gonna roll the dice and assume this B30 number I found is the key code, if not then I'll whip out the tools and undress her. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
before you get desperate and tear things apart though, might I suggest a few phone calls to a honda rebel dealer . . they might be able to get the key code based on the vin number. I've done it before with cars, not sure if it will work with bikes. Call me key paranoid, but I've had a few incidents. I was in fear of the same thing happening, especially after I dropped my key, in the dark, in
t he grass next to the road when I stopped to put my jacket on. Fortunalty I was with two other peopela nd could have ridden home with one of them to get the truck if need be, but a car went by and jsut by luck my brother saw something shiny reflectin in the grass from the car's headlights. It was my key. Next moring, first trip out was to the local hond dealer, who was able to sell me the blanks but couldn't cut one that would work--he recommended a local harware store with a much newer key machine and I got 2 keys made up. (funny thing is mine is a 2000 and they were able ot make ones for my husbands 83 hondamatic that work). Anyway, the hardware store accepted the blanks and cut me two keys. I bought a hide a key Key pouuch that is sticky back and velcro and immedieatly before I left the parking lot I hid a key on my bike. (and yes, its' somewhere where it's not the easiest to get at, can't be seen, but is doable and can not fall off the bike). The other one is kept at the house. My husband did the same thing. I've always had a spare for my car at my house, but I now have one hidden on my car as well since when I got out one day and went to get my grand baby out of the back and in between my door closed and locked all the doors. Thankfully I was in the driveway , but I instantly thought omg what if I was at the store or something. It will never happen again. When my husband and I were riding scooters together, we both had a key to each other's scooters on our key chain. Thank god, cause one day after stopping to buy a drink at the store, as I was walking back across the street I dropped my keys and they went down the storm drain. Yep. Only me! LOL.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah wow you have some bad luck with keys. The VIN number is a good idea, though I don't trust my local dealer, I called them first to see what I could do and he tried to tell me I had to buy a whole new set of locks for $175 haha, call me cheap but I'd rather hotwire it everyday then do that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's also under the gas cap. My locksmith showed me this. It is with this code that he is able to create a key without an original. I know, I know. You can't remove the gas cap without a key ... I'm jus' sayin' .... For the record, I have 4 keys.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I learned to make key copies the hard way. Lost the only key to my kids mini bike. Yamaha does not have key codes. Pulled the ignition and a locksmith custom made one for me. Paid him $35 and then put the ignition back in. By the time I got around to getting it all done the fuel had went bad in the carb. Was charged $150 at the shop. I now have 2 spares to everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts