Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They don't...............I've checked. Corbin no longer makes them either! They've retooled for the Rebel 300, 500 and 1100, but nothing for the 250cmx. Guess we're the Red-headed step-child at the Italian wedding, huh!!!!!:D

· Registered
18 Posts
Boot Synthetic rubber Font Fashion design Athletic shoe

I've got a custom Corbin double saddle on my bike. People talk about the Corbin as if it's the most comfortable saddle in the world. Well.............mine isn't! When I bought it, I had them take some "height" out of it in hopes my little 4'9" wife could ride it..............but even with lowering the saddle, she still couldn't touch the ground. So I'm assuming my saddle has much less padding than one those folks brag about. In fact, I'm getting to where if I have to spend more than an hour straight in the saddle I'm cussing it. Tired of bruised "sit-bones". When I get off the bike there are two distinct indentations left from my bony butt. So it's time for a pad. Every pad on the market "claims" to be the "best". Buy one and your "sitter" will thank you for buying it. I've tried reading reviews, but they all sound as if they are written by the folks selling the pads!!!!! I'm kind of considering the AirHawk cushion that fit's my saddle. But they are all so danged expensive, I'd like to hear some opinions from folks here on the forum who use seat pads.
Hi Chris ...
A few things I've learned about seats and getting saddle sore in my 50 years of riding:
1. It's not the seat, it's how you sit it (the angle at which your hips are rotated affect the area of contact with your butt). Changing the position of your feet forward or back, and/or your reach to the handlebars even a fraction of an inch changes your "contact patch". The most comfortable bike I ever rode on the back of had a p-pad that was 4" wide and an inch thick because the positioning was correct for me.
2. Consider the pants you wear when you ride. Your "comfy jeans" can create pressure points when in riding position! The back seam can pull tight across your tailbone as well as the fabric binding in other places. Try something a little looser with a bit of stretch to the fabric. I found this out on a long distance ride that was comfortable until I changed pants ... an hour later I was in agony. Changed back to my "dirty" pants and all was fine.

A note for your short wife ... She's a good bit shorter than me (almost 5'3") but I also apply some short people strategies with some bikes (like my '78 Honda XL-350 with a seat height of about 35").
1. Wear heels. Be conscious about the construction of the boot and look for ones that have the heel as a one piece construction with the sole or are otherwise solidly fastened so they don't come loose while riding. Slip resistant soles can always be added if they do not come on the boot. (My "rain" boots are Hunter Gabby's - I'll try to add a photo)
2. I always keep my right foot on the brake when I stop so I can shift a bit to the left so I can firmly plant my left foot on the ground.
3. Use gravity to your advantage when stopping/parking. If there is a slight rise to the curb, pull in forward; if the curb is lower than the roadway, back in. Likewise, when stopping on the roadway for lights. signs, traffic, etc ... position the bike so your foot goes down on the rise, not in the hollow of a wheel track!
4. For inspiration ... Jersey Pearl is the former International President of Women in the Wind. She's 4'10" and rides a lowered H-D Road King (and is a Hoka Hey Challenge finisher!). If this link doesn't come through, search for the Pearl Push on YouTube

I hope some of this helps you and your wife find that "sweet spot" that makes riding a joy!
~Gypsy~Deb
Women in the Wind Vagabond Sister Chapter

• Helpful
Reactions: Emil

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks, GypsyDeb.

Many of my longer rides have been while wearing gym pants. Definitely no pull or bind in them, that's for sure. I shift around a lot trying to position my "sit" bones away from the seat...............but my pelvis is where it is and I've no natural padding on my bony buttocks! :eek: When I get on my tractor and bounce around on that steel seat for two hours mowing the pasture I end up with two viscous blisters that take weeks to heal........much like a bed sore. My little wife won't even sit on the bike. No interest in riding what-so-ever. Has only ridden as a passenger with me two times for short rides and that was back in 2011. (anyone interested in some very short chaps, black leather jacket (extremely small) and a small helmet.....all only worn twice???) :rolleyes: I'm only concerned about relief for my own rear end...........I'm selfish! :D

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Very good advice & well written too GypsyDeb!

My wife is 5' 2" & rides comfortably all day on the back of my Rebels without any complaints. It is true that if you wear comfortable clothes the ride is always better.

With the seats that we have, there isn't much difference in the feel of the ride no matter what we wear. Full leathers to jeans

HD does make some comfy seats for long rides!

Reactions: GypsyDeb

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just got back from town where I was able to put my bony boo-tocks in a Suzuki Boulevard C-50 seat. Was totally unimpressed. My Corbin is more comfortable. The Suzuki seat was much wider but it didn't seem to cradle me right. (I admit it might feel better if I took a test ride) There was a Honda Shadow Aero sitting a few bikes down the row that had an AirHawk seat on it. I think it was probably aired up too much, but it was so much more comfortable than anything I've sat on to date. Might just have to start saving my money. :unsure:

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I had sheep-skin front seat covers in my 1981 Mercedes. They were fantastic............for the first 30,000 miles..............but by the time I had 80,000 miles on the vehicle they were matted down and as uncomfortable as most any seat. You're experience might differ from mine because I've not much padding on my posterior!

· Registered
18 Posts
Anybody try sheep skin/wool pad. They look really plush! I’d get a thick one if I ever lost my cover.
I had sheep-skin front seat covers in my 1981 Mercedes. They were fantastic............for the first 30,000 miles..............but by the time I had 80,000 miles on the vehicle they were matted down and as uncomfortable as most any seat. You're experience might differ from mine because I've not much padding on my posterior!
I used a sheepskin in my daughter's car seat when she was a baby. As you can imagine it needed frequent washing! It went through and came out of the washing machine with mild detergent (Dreft & borax) just fine on a regular basis. Just shook it out and let it air dry (NEVER put it in the dryer!). I think I may have actually brushed it maybe once a year. She's 42 and still uses the same sheepskin she sat on as an infant. We've never tried it on the motorcycle.

If conditioning is warranted, use a leather conditioner that contains lanolin (comes from sheep)

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading and video watching since starting this thread. Stumbled onto a cushion I've never heard of before..............the Butt Buffer. Anyone read about it or better yet used/own one?

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, this search has pretty much been disappointing. Based on the reviews I've read and review videos I've watched, every seat cushion is the "Best of the Best". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Makes it difficult to make an informed purchase. Even the reviews that review the "Best 5" or "Best 6" sound like they were paid by the manufacturers to make'em all sound like winners or pretty close to it. If money were no object I'd order 2 or 3 and try'em out...........keeping my favorite. But I've not won the Lottery recently. I only know one rider and he's completely happy with his Harley seat.

I'm going to be taking a 200 mile ride here in the next couple of weeks and sure would like to test one out.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, I've been going through several motorcycle forums and I can't find much informed info about seat pads. Surely people use them because there are a bunch of manufacturers out there. Everyone I talk with suggests I get with Corbin and have them modify the seat. I contacted them a week ago to see if they could remake it with the right amount of padding. But I've not heard back from them.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm sure there aren't a lot of folks following this thread, but I thought I'd pass on what I've just been told by Corbin.

I asked them if they could put padding back in my saddle. Yes they can..............but.......................it's a complete recovering and padding job and would cost $305. So I guess I'm going to have to go the seat pad route to save my old bony butt.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
I try to read every new post.
That is too rich for my wallet!
I still think that the route that we went provides the best riding experience for the cost. There are certain cities that have better curbside shopping than others. Strongsville, & Brecksville Ohio are 2 of the best I've seen.

Reactions: Chris C

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
On page 1 of this thread I mentioned the 2010 HARLEY FLH FLHX, also known as a Reach seat. This is what I've put on both of my Rebels.

Reactions: Chris C
21 - 38 of 38 Posts