Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode the other day and boy were my hands cold. me and a few buddies registered for a few charity runs over the holiday/new year time period so I HAVE TO GET HEATED GLOVES!

I think battery operated rechargeable ones might not be as good as I would need and they have a limit lifespan/more bulk. I am thinking the the Rebel charging system can handle a set of gloves if that is all I use (the rest of my gear is pretty warm).

I have seen the Firstgear, Tourmaster and other brands that require a seperate heater control and their own connection harness to the battery (I dont think I have room to connect more wires directly to the battery terminals!!!)

...I already have a battery tender with the 12V DV cigarette lighter receptacle, so are there any brands that have 12VDC plugs on the end?

Recommendation? SUggestions?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a pair of Gerbings, and they work pretty good. A little bulky, but the new micro wire ones are a lot thinner. They also sell heated glove liners.

Gerbing's Heated Clothing // Heated Gloves

Word of caution. You can use the gloves with just a simple on/off switch if you can't afford the controller. However, I forgot to get the controller when I bought the gloves and rode home using the gloves. They are either full on, or off. And I got contact burns on my hands because I couldn't always get to the on/off switch. (Seattle traffic sucks).

The Rebel will handle the gloves just fine. I have never had to turn the controller up more than half way, even when it was in the 20's.

Gerbings does sell an adapter to plug into a 12V system. Make sure you get the 12V cigarette adapter and NOT the BMW style 12V, they are different.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
If you are going to get bike wired heated gear, Gerbing makes the best.
I think their gloves draw about 22 watts, about what the brake light pulls.
The trick is they are meant to wire in to the jacket liner. That liner draws 108 watts, way more than out poor Rebels can handle.
The good side of heated gloves is they go with you from bike to bike. the 9V battery operated can put heat out for about two hours and won't draw a thing from the bike but for longer trips you'll have a few spare batteies in your luggage.
Heated grips are another option and they draw about 30 watts, depending on which brand you get. The downside is they stay on the bike.

Reactions: TAGFoto

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You can get around the jacket, you just have to get a separate harness. And if you do have the jacket liner, you use the dual controller, and just not turn on the one for the jacket liner.

I have used both on the Rebel. Jacket liner no more than 1/4 turn on the controller, gloves no more than 1/2. If the headlight starts to pulse (bright, dim, bright, dim) turn them down a bit until it stops. And when you get within a mile or three of your destination, just shut it all off. been doing this for about four years and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a pair of Widder electric gloves that are about 20 years old. I'm pretty sure they draw way to much current for use on the Rebel, with the headlight on anyway, but they do work great. Widder is no longer in business. These gloves work well down close to 0 degrees F, and while the rest of you is freezing, your hands are nice and warm. I do believe they use a lot more than 22 watts.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Being a cheapskate, and since I've not used my horn since I tested it when I bought the bike.....

I've thought about getting a pair of the cheaper heated liners to wear under my mittens and wiring them up via the horn switch, maybe with a small relay if the horn switch isn't rated for the power they draw. Then I can just hold down the horn button for a little while when my hands need a shot of warmth. In theory. Lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Another good alternative to Gerbings is WarmnSafe. They produce excellent quality gear and have an outlet store. My liner jacket from their outlet store is a year old and works wonderfully. It's the 60w, not the higher output 90w version. Hard for me to imagine needing anything stronger. The 60w is more than enough to be toasty well below freezing on a long ride. I've got a set of heated grips for the Silverwing if/when it's ever on the road, but may grab a set of WarmnSafe's glove liners if the grips aren't enough.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Being a cheapskate, and since I've not used my horn since I tested it when I bought the bike.....

I've thought about getting a pair of the cheaper heated liners to wear under my mittens and wiring them up via the horn switch, maybe with a small relay if the horn switch isn't rated for the power they draw. Then I can just hold down the horn button for a little while when my hands need a shot of warmth. In theory. Lol.
It takes a minute or three to start feeling the warmth with the gloves. Might as well just hook up the harness or you 'can' get a simple switch and mount that to the bars.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Your hands get cold because your trunk gets cold. As your body gets cold, it shuts off heat to the extremities first. Wear enough clothing and you will be warm and insulated gloves of some kind will do fine to keep your hands warm. I have been riding since 1984 and have tried about everything. Electric gear with wires and all is just not worth the effort. Stop worrying about looks and go for warmth instead.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If I was going to go with electric heat of some kind. It wouldn't be the gloves. It would be the heated grips. You can wire those up and leave them and its no wires to the clothing or gloves. Look up Heat deamons.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I have the Show Chrome heated grips made for the Goldwing. I've had them for two seasons now, and I have to say I'm disappointed with them. After they were first installed they heated up pretty good, but now they are just barely warm. Stay away from Show Chrome.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I have the Hot Grips brand heated grips. I will admit that they are a bit pricey but I've never been disappointed with their performance. I put a pair of the model 401 (the originalmodel) on the Virago in '91 and they still work very well. The low setting warms the grips up and the hi setting can actually get pretty hot.
I did put a pair of the model 525-875 open end grips on the Rebel just this year. The low setting get warm but not quite as warm as the Virago on low. Hi setting gets just as hot as the ones on the Virago.
Here's a pic of the left 525-875

1 - 12 of 12 Posts