Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
I have what were advertised as winter motorcycle overpants but may be snowmobile overpants. They have knee protection and are very well insulated. My lower torso doesn't get cold in them even when riding in the upper 20s. Think I paid $80 for them 12-13 years ago. Here are some pre-owned at shopgoodwill.com: Search Results: snow pants - shopgoodwill.com

· Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Flitecontrol. I've got some snow-bibs that completely solve the problem, but it already takes me forever to get suited up to ride and unsuited at the gym...........or wherever I'm headed. I'll have a look at them, but I don't think my chaps will fit over them. If I could just find some shorts that were made of a wind-breaker material I think that would solve the problem because it's not my legs that get cold.......it's the "junk" in the nether-region. ;)

But I'm watching that auction on those pants you linked. Think they'd work a treat.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Whew! Just in time too..............I found the actual waist size and they are too small for me. I'm a 34/36. But I'll keep checking. Thanks for the headsup and link.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Follow-up Review

This morning I had to take a trip out and back 15 miles each way. Temp when I left was 37 degrees. Winds were 15 mph..........but 90% of the ride was at 65mph and up. (up to 75mph) I honestly believe my hands and especially my fingers were the coldest they've ever been in my life. But without those hand-guards on the bike I honestly think I'd have had some frostbite to deal with. It was absolutely brutal. I'm looking for some serious reflective glove liners. I've found these: Seirus Heatwave Liner Gloves | REI Co-op But I'm not too keen on paying that much for them.

I found a pair of Columbia Omni-Tech Omni-Heat snow pants that have a full heat reflective liner. They are wind-proof and water-proof and have snow cuffs inside which will help with any wind trying to come up inside them. Due here next week sometime. They will be a treat over my gym pants and under my chaps. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Next problem to tackle is fork wings to keep the bitter cold off my chest and from going up inside my helmet. I've been working on a design for a mount and wings. Will be sure and post pics when I get it complete.

The "journey" continues....................................................:giggle:

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Been riding with the hand-shields for a bit over a month now and have to say I'm reasonably pleased. My fingers still get cold (took a 15 mile ride this morning at 32 degress) but overall I'd say I'm pleased with the modification.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
One very old method to keep my toes warm on extremely cold days, (& I suppose that it'd work on fingers too), was to take some red (cayenne) pepper on the outside of the socks, inside of my boots. If 2 pairs of gloves are worn, peppering the outside of the inner gloves should keep the fingers quite warm.
Do NOT put it directly on your skin. Prolonged skin contant may cause burns.
Black pepper will also work but requires a larger quantity, & is less likely to cause chemical burns.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
I'm showing my age....
Cloves work for a toothache too.

Reactions: Messengerman1

· Registered
37 Posts
I bought some used Vetter (original maker) Hippo Hands for around $50 IIRC. They are insulated and absolutely keep the wind off your hands.
I agree with this, I’ve got a smaller pair of kolpin but the older hippos won’t leave you cold. I actually use them for my winter ride, not the rebel. The hippos work better than my helmet at 0 degrees.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts