Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start this project I was wondering what performance modifications people do to squeeze a bit more then the stock 17hp I was looking at doing the dual carb setup with pod filters and high flow mufflers, how much power do y’all think I’ll gain? What jetting should I run as a baseline? Is there more I can do? Does porting the head yield much power? The TS100 is a bit lighter and has an 18 inch tire, recommendation on gearing?

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
1st, anything can be modified to work.
2nd, although harder to find, I'd search for a destroyed 1st gen Rebel for the engine, because it already has 4 to 5 more HP to start out, even with a single carburetor. The dual only adds 1 additional HP to the 1st gen, so not a very cost effective method for gaining power.
Please don't do this with a running 1st Gen Rebel. They are already great as designed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2005 rebel engine id only be paying 200 for it and I know it'll work I'm just trying to get advice, you only answered one of my questions and told me it wasn't effective.... lol

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Pod filters and mufflers don't add any power to a Rebel engine and can reduce it. If you have the knowledge and skills, you can make some internal engine mods (crankshaft, etc.) that will slightly increase horsepower.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Right on! How could I forget the most important Rebel horsepower booster?!?!??? Should also have mentioned full time nitrous boost. :oops:

·
Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
375 Posts
It's a 2005 rebel engine id only be paying 200 for it and I know it'll work I'm just trying to get advice, you only answered one of my questions and told me it wasn't effective.... lol
That is a great price for an engine! If you don’t do the project please post the engine for sale here!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Welcome to forum .You can get a large improvement with head porting and upgrade the cam and with twin carbs and advance the timing 5 degrease and high output coils i have done it all to my 250 and have close to 30hp

Reactions: Emil

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
Not fair! Australia had the twins right from the factory! ;) :LOL:
But the New cams & especially the head porting. And the changed timing, to more closely match the 1st Gen design.... I can definitely see how that would help increase 2nd generation power.
Thank you for posting wjmrty. That It gives me something to think about....:unsure:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive mentioned in other posts, the Ricks motorsport CDI, K&N filter, & NGK Iridium plug combo will offer noticeable performance improvement in throttle response and extra rpms on the top end.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
And how did you measure the performance improvements? Did you have a tach to document the difference in rpms? Butt dynamometers don't count.

·
Registered
31 Posts
And how did you measure the performance improvements? Did you have a tach to document the difference in rpms? Butt dynamometers don't count.
Fair enough.... I got my bike with a broken speedo, so I put an aftermarket universal 4 in one digi mechanical speedo which features a tach. I cant tell you how accurate it is or isnt, but I can say I saw more RPMS on the top end. No idea if its 1k extra like perf cdi's advertise, but extra nonetheless. It was also more eager to reach those extra rpms. I also a-b tested the iridium plugs against the stock ones and had a noticeable difference in throttle response. The K&N air filter adds a cool throaty intake sound @ midrange RPMS too! Altogether, for less than $200 the gains are worth it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts