Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. I'm pretty sure many have asked thing before, I have searched this forum for quite a while now and didn't find it so please enlighten me. I would keep on searching but since I have a planned trip for tomorrow and my only mode of transportation due to certain circumstances is Rebel. I would like to know how Rebel handles on highway for long distances. I just bought my 2008 one last week and love it so far. Took it on a highway but it wasn't for long, maybe 7 or so exits. My trip will be about 100 miles, which is more or less 2 and a half hours of riding time. Will Rebel withstand such task at constant speed to keep up with traffic. Should I take few breaks in between, keep to the right lane? I have read my articles and many of them say that the Rebel will easily go 70mph but is it good for the 250 engine engine to go on at that speed for such time. Please let me know your experiences.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Yes, the Rebel can handle that. I've gone much further than that and there are folks here who have taken their Rebel 250 across the country.
Generally, rider fatigue in the limiting factor. The Rebel can take more that most riders will.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is a good news. I was pretty certain that it can handle that but the thing that was bugging me was, if it is good for the engine in the long run. How it handle two people on highway trips. Combined weight, around 350 pounds?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is your 2008 a new bike as in under 200 miles on it?

WELCOME to the forum.

Judy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judy, the bike had 3500 miles when I bought it last week. I managed to add another 200 miles of city commute with a smirk on my face. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome,the longer on the highway the better,since rebels are air cooled they like to see if they can out run you,8hrs+easy!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Go for it, it is broken in. There are still some 08 out there that are new.
I have yet to hit highway, but have had it up to 55 and there was plenty left in it. Have seen many posts of people running them 70 for hours. Some videos on utube showing 250 Rebels hitting 80. Some of the senior members can fill you in more on how much you can push the bike.

Have a safe trip.

Judy

·
Registered
305 Posts
2009 owners manual lists max. weight capacity as 345 lbs. This includes add on and cargo.

Adjust rear shocks to # 5 position and go for it. Just remember a lot longer to stop and acceleration not as brisk. Do not lug engine.

Someone with more experience jump in here and help.

Judy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, seeing all the info contained and help received on this forum, I plan to be part of this community. Thanks for the timely responses. Now I'm heading off to bed to be plenty rested for tomorrow's trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Between, two person question was for future references, so no worries.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I did 100 miles on my 86 today most of it at 65 and 70 going up and down hills. Make sure you check your oil at the end of the ride to make sure you do not have to add any. some times I do some times I don't but it is best to check. Have fun, ride safe

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Riding with a pillion passenger, the limiting factor will be the durability of the passenger!
That little pad isn't the best for all day comfort! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hah! I'm glad to hear all these great experiences!

Buickguy, the passenger, who will be my main one in future trips, complained about that pad after 10 minutes of ride today. Planning to mount sissy bar to give a little more comfort.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have to say i have a honda shadow and my wife has a honda rebel and my buddy and i went for a ride yesterday and i left on the shadow and returned on the rebel and i have to say i just love riding the rebel it is so much fun to work those gears it shifts and turns like a dream i love to ride that rebel i love the power and sound of the shadow but when ever my wife lets me i ride the @#$% out of that bike i put 300 miles on it last month alone..... but one question what is ment by lug the engine???

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Run it in too high a gear for the speed you are moving. Puts a lot of load on the engine. It does best when running at higher revs.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
If you are going to do a lot of long trips, then it would be worth looking into a more custom seat... I just put a Mustang Seat on my Virago.. since the stock seat is notoriously uncomfortable after awhile... and what a difference.. wow.. Now it is so comfortable I am thinking about putting a 5 gallon tank on it..

Mustang seats are just one of the options out there.. there are other good seats as well as gel pads and air pads that you can get.. even if you just get one for the passenger...

Anyway, check them out.. there is a load of stuff out there...

Enjoy your ride and tell us how it went...

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow thank you for telling me that because when i ride the rebel i never shift according to the scale on the speedo it seems that i am in 5th no later then 45-50 i thought it was better for the gas consumption and easier on the engine

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome,the longer on the highway the better,since rebels are air cooled they like to see if they can out run you,8hrs+easy!
If you have ever done the "8hr. +" on the stock seat............
You shall be Henceforth named "IRON BUTT The Conqueror":lol2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts