Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Rebel CMX-250C
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the lightbulb was a 12W5V 67 type bulb. Went into a local auto parts place to find the bulb and the package said 13.5W58 67 type bulb. Would this difference of 1.5W and 3V do anything to the bike? I might just be overthinking it.
Let me know your opinion.

Thanks,

Ghost.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
928 Posts
These bikes are 12V bikes. So a 13.5V bulb would be fine.
I'd supect 5 watts is the normal draw. So .8 more watt shouldn't make any real difference.

·
Registered
1987 Rebel CMX-250C
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These bikes are 12V bikes. So a 13.5V bulb would be fine.
I'd supect 5 watts is the normal draw. So .8 more watt shouldn't make any real difference.
Oops, I meant the package on the Sylvania brand ones were 13.5 volt 8 watt while the OEM bulb was 12 volt 5 watt. I tried the bulb on and it works, was just worried mostly about battery and power consumption.

Thanks once again Emil.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
928 Posts
.59A vs .42A is not worth worrying about. It'll work fine.

Reactions: ghostlyvast

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
And if you are still concerned, get an LED bulb; lower wattage, extremely long life, and brighter light.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
The Sylvania bulb will work without problems

Automotive/motorcycle bulbs are designed to operate at 13.5 to 15 volts or more..
if bulbs were truly 12 volt they would quickly burn out as vehicle charging systems output 14-16 volts. Name brand suppliers take that into account where cheap off brands may not

The 2nd generation Rebel alternator has rated output as high as 15.6 volts @ 5000 rpm
Our 1st gen output is listed at 14-15v

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Circle

a fully charged lead acid battery will have 2.2 to 2.3 volts per cell times 6 cells = 13.2-13.8 volts nominal voltage.. alternators/chargers must have a greater output voltage than maximum battery capacity or it will never charge fully.

A quality LED replacement will advertise the voltage range it is designed to operate within..

Super Bright advertises theirs at 9-14.8v

others are designed to be used on 12 or 24 volt systems interchangeably often rated to operate at 10-30 volts for those of us who maintain semi trucks. as noted below

·
Registered
1987 Rebel CMX-250C
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sylvania bulb will work without problems

Automotive/motorcycle bulbs are designed to operate at 13.5 to 15 volts or more..
if bulbs were truly 12 volt they would quickly burn out as vehicle charging systems output 14-16 volts. Name brand suppliers take that into account where cheap off brands may not

The 2nd generation Rebel alternator has rated output as high as 15.6 volts @ 5000 rpm
Our 1st gen output is listed at 14-15v

View attachment 111517

a fully charged lead acid battery will have 2.2 to 2.3 volts per cell times 6 cells = 13.2-13.8 volts nominal voltage.. alternators/chargers must have a greater output voltage than maximum battery capacity or it will never charge fully.

A quality LED replacement will advertise the voltage range it is designed to operate within..

Super Bright advertises theirs at 9-14.8v

others are designed to be used on 12 or 24 volt systems interchangeably often rated to operate at 10-30 volts for those of us who maintain semi trucks. as noted below
Wow, I didn't even know that. That's super helpful and the additional information is also interesting.

Thank you as always, SK.

Sylvania bulb is working like a charm at the moment :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only important thing is the plastic housing the bulb is contained in, yes the voltage and wattage are not usually an issue but the plastic housing can overheat and melt or the constant overheating can shorten the life of the bulb. It won't hurt the wiring or affect the battery or charging system and may work the rest of the life of the bike and yours even with a melted housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts