Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some digging around on the forum, Ive read a few times that the aftermarket LED turn signals I installed are likely the reason my blinkers dont want to obey me.

They worked perfectly for a few rides after I installed them, now the blinkers stay solid or dont turn on at all.

I'm having some trouble finding an LED compatible 2 prong flasher relay. A couple of the ones on amazon state they are LED compatible but the reviews and comments say otherwise.

Any chance someone could recommend a Flasher relay that will work with my LED blinkers?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I'm an electrical dunce, but think you are correct. If you do a tag search for LED, a lot of threads on the subject come up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so after a "deep dive" search in the forums, I have two solid conclusions.

1) LED turn signals creates a problem

2) The problem created by LED turn signals can be fixed in wholeeeee bunch of different ways.

Flite, the work around you showed me I think is beyond my skill set. The only experience Ive had with electrical is plugging in aftermarket turn signals. The front wire box above headlight is a clusterfluff and I have stupid fingers.

Does anyone know of an "easier" solution to the LED problem?

Thanks guys and hope everyone is doing alright.

·
Vendor
29 Posts
Does anyone know of an "easier" solution to the LED problem?
Hi!
You can try and use a load equalizer. It brings back the load to your mechanical flasher relay that was removed by converting stock incandescent turn signals to LEDs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered this LED compatible flasher relay CF12ANL-01: 2 Pin Black American Flasher.

If this doesn’t resolve it that I will try the load equalizer.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Either the FL2 or FL3 sold by SuperbrightLEDs are a direct plug and play for the flasher relay, but...
The indicator light in the instrument cluster is wired as a bridge between both sides, just to be cleaver playing games and showing off how well they learned loading balances and thresholds in their EE class in college.
The SIMPLEST way to fix the 4-way flasher issue caused by LED turn signals is to unscrew the bulb from the panel turn signal indicator light. That breaks the bridge and lets them work normally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just installed the 2 pin flasher relay from super bright. Still having problems.

With the new flasher relay, both left side blinkers work as they should, but the indicator light does not light up at all. The right blinkers, however, neither the front or the back right blinkers will light up at all, but the indicator light will flash on and off.

Kryton I took your advice and pulled out the indicator bulb, same problem persists.

I double checked that the flasher relay was connected the way it should be. Even with the flasher relay connected the wrong way, the left side blinkers will just stay lit up and the indicator light wont light up at all. And the right blinkers dont light up at all but the indicator light will stay lit.

Its a 1987 if that makes any difference.

If anyone has anyone more advice I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
[QUOTE="JakerHsnaker, post: 1252331, member: 91067"

Kryton I took your advice and pulled out the indicator bulb, same problem persists.

I double checked that the flasher relay was connected the way it should be. Even with the flasher relay connected the wrong way, the left side blinkers will just stay lit up and the indicator light wont light up at all. And the right blinkers dont light up at all but the indicator light will stay lit.
[/QUOTE]

Hard to help when we get conflicting statements! Is the indicator bulb there or not!

In your case I say remove the bulb and work from there...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone had any problems with a faulty switch? Or has anyone seen mentions of a faulty switch show up on the forum?

I am starting to suspect the problem may be the turn signal switch on the left side handle bar.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I had a dirty switch that was extremely slow to blink on one side, but it eventually did blink. Tried cleaning it, broke it in the process, and worked flawlessly when I replaced it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Switch seems to be mechanically fine.

Can anyone give me an explanation as to what may cause the problem I am having?

To reiterate, I wired in LED blinkers on both the front and back last season. They worked fine until winter. I started up the bike a couple times in the winter just to check if the battery was dead, The right side signals would blink really slow but would eventually speed up to normal, almost as if they needed to pick up momentum. When I started the bike up this spring the right side turn signals will not light up at all, but the indicator light will blink on and off when the right side switch is activated. The left side blinkers worked as they should, but the indicator light does not blink at all when the left side switch is activated.

LED flasher relay from superbright didnt change anything. Unplugging the indicator light didnt change anything either.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what could be causing this, please let me know!

Thanks in advance, guys.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
At this point, my advice is to go back to all the original lights and start trouble shooting from there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Soooo it turns out I’m a dumb ass. The aftermarket turn signals are in fact NOT LED’s. They are just regular bulbs.
I put back on the one flasher relay but the problem still persists.

Left side blinkers work, but idiot light dosnt light up when left blinkers are going. Right side blinkers don’t light up at all, but idiot light flashes on and off when right side switch is pressed.

idk if this changes anything. Any help is dearly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Here is what I figured based on what you are telling us, this is the list of circuitry we are dealing with...

Battery/okay - 15 amp fuse/okay - ignition switch/okay - turn signal relay/okay - turn signal switch/okay - front electrical and back electrical junction box/sounds like you switched some wires...

Here's an electrical diagram, you need to figure what colors you have messed up!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for helping me out. I just got done re-checking the front and back wire harness against the wiring diagram. Every connection seems to be connected to where it should be.

Ive been staring at the wiring diagram and for the life of me I can not figure out what would cause the idiot light to not light up when the left blinkers are going, and the right blinkers not work at all but the idiot light will flash on and off.

Also something I noticed, when the LED flasher relay is installed, the idiot light will flash on and off when I hit the right side blinker button (although the blinkers wont light up at all), but with the OEM flasher the idiot light will just stay light when the right side blinkers are supposed to be going (it doesnt blink on and off).

At this point I just do not know what i am looking for. If these "symptoms" give anyone an idea of where the problem likely is (i.e. a wire plugged into an improper place or a grounding issue or something like that) that would help out alot.

If any other info would help identify where the problem is, just let me know and ill go check it out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soooo turns out both of the right side turn signal bulbs are just burnt out... I sure do feel dumb now. Probably should have checked that first huh?

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The turn signal "idiot" light wouldn't light up because the bulb completes it's circuit through the other side of blinker bulbs. If they were burned out the circuit would not complete and the "idiot" light would not blink. When you replace those bulbs, I'm sure it will start working normally again. (y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts