Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another year of the rally has come and gone. I LOVED IT! Even with the rain! Although I think Mr Johnson might think a little less of the rain.

Attendance was better than I thought it would be. I ended up with a cabin all to myself, I'm not complaining. Lenny started out and got turned back by foul weather. Turns out the weather he was in plagued us the next day. My rain gear held out pretty well for it. Just had some dampness at my hands and fore arm and along my neck. RidingTheRoad showed up with her Rebel finally! Phil brought his brother Mike as well as Mark. Steve and MarkWilliams showed up again this year after last years calamity and managed to conquer the 278 to Nelsonville! Mr Johnson put on a dandy breakfast before the ride, but due to the rain, few wanted to venture out into it and attend. If Mr Johnson returns next year I'll be sure to have some of my chili peppers for him. WilsoninTenn texted me to a new attendee, Wild Bill, but unfortunately I only got to talk with him 2 times due to weather. He was one of the campers and got tired of the weather. He was a local that showed up on a familiar 450. Turns out he bought Tigerlily's bike when they moved out of state. Tigerlily and her husband Mark are the ones who started the Lake Hope Rally. DNC showed up as per the new usual, but laid his bike down unfortunately. Fortunately, he is okay! Since his wife helped him recover the bike from off road, we might have to designate her as the official "recovery" crew.

When Saturdays ride started out, there were only 3 of us. Not a good start. So I stopped by the campers and managed to get 3 out of the 4 to join us. By this time the rain had abated somewhat. About 7 miles into the ride it started raining and only got worse as the miles accumulated. We ended up ducking into the Ashe Cave pavilion to wait out the rain. Once it let up we headed into Logan for the campers to eat breakfast (lunch?). Then we resumed the ride. In the mean time, the day prior Mark and Steve were on a mission to get a new inner tube, unbeknownst to me. But it explains why I couldn't meet them. They missed out on the ride because of communication break down. Saturday evening was where it all started to gel. No rain helped a lot!!! EVERYONE, wives included, stopped by my cabin for chili and pasta salad. Many thanks to Mrs Johnson for the pasta salad! Everyone had a good chat, 2,3 conversations going at once.

Sunday was no planned ride, but myself, RidingTheRoad, MarkWilliamson and Steve headed out for a ride into new roads. Since I was in scouting mode, I had a long ride on my menu. Steve and Mark wanted less miles and headed off in their own once we got to the Bob Evans farm. I found some new roads that I will take into account for the future now. When I finally headed home from Lake Hope the GPS found some new roads too! Now I just have to start planning for next year...

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more pics...
IMG_0728.JPG

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Hope to be there next year! Guba, you always do a good job of finding great roads!

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More pics...

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
great story - great pics

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like a good turnout considering the pandemic. I would been there but couldnt get it off at work. I was going to ride out sunday but figured everyone was gone by then.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Made it back OK. As Guba noted, I had an accident on Friday and was unable to make the ride(s) from there. This accident was the result of a mis-navigated turn, or failure to react properly. I went too wide on a downhill decreasing apex left turn, low-sided, slid a few feet on concrete and tumbled on grass. I watched Kuro slide off the road with me, then on the grass for ~10 ' and then it did a highside flip and dropped out of site. It was horrible to watch-my heart sank! All of the roads in these hills drop off to scenery a few feet from the road, so you know if/when you wipe, you could get pretty banged up. The bike immediately high-sided/flipped into a thicket of bushes and was sitting there, rubber side up, slightly suspended in the bushes, gas pouring through th cap. Horrible scene seeing my bike like that. Wifey rescued me, we pulled it out and got it back up to the cabin. I thought it was toast, but luckily it suffered little damage. Front fender, engine guard, and L shock top got scraped pretty bad. Pedals got mangled but mounts and levers are not bent. Had NC Street Shield EX on so it took the initial hits and saved my mirrors and controls. Clutch cable got bent/scarred at adjusting nut, so will replace. Gas tank had a small depression where the triple tree hot (gooseneck gave a little and the tree rotated) but no major dent! Rear fender, seat, and everything else is untouched! Forks look great. I am glad there were no trees involved! Tins and tank needed a repaint anyway.

I lost some of my forearmor b/c I only had on a mechanic shirt. It is a Carhart, and protected me as I rolled over, but the forearms are exposed so I got some unwanted tattoos. I jammed my left thumb/wrist quite good when I lowsided too. Bell Revolver helmet had a nice scrape on the face and saved me some skin. My hand hurt just enough to keep me from safely operating my other bike, so put them down for the weekend.. I had trouble loading and unloading too. Now need to heal my hand, so am not riding for several weeks.

In spite of the accident I had a great time as usual. It was nice breaking bread with the group and meeting new people. I really enjoy this trip for more than just the MC'ing. We have our dogs, so went walking and fishing too. We went up to Walmart in Logan and ended up fishing at Lake Logan for a couple of hours and met several nice people there. I also found the road we (very) mistakenly took returning from Columbus a few years ago called Wandling Road which starts from Haydenville Road in Haydenville and goes south. Just let me say this country road is not meant for minivans at all and I was lucky we made it through the loose gravel and severe inclines/declines while twisting through the forest, at night!. Not one of my best decisions at all, some of the scariest 10-15 minutes of driving in my life! We actually passed a couple of houses up there! Will never forget this-or take that road again!.

Anyway, while I was disappointed in myself for having an accident, it could have been a lot worse My best 1/2 was there for me as usual and nursed me well. Uncle Nearest helped me get over the blow to my ego, my wounds will heal, and the bike can be fixed.

I am thankful to be here to tell my story and have learned from this experience, as I do every time I ride.

I think I am going to look for an advanced riders course, protective long sleeve summer shirts, and the best gloves I can find! Wifey says I can get a new helmet too! Liking the Bell Bullitt, gloss black of course! I also will employ ATGATT faithfully, regardless if I am just 'going local' or 'not getting on the interstate' or 'its too hot' either of which I use as an excuse to wear a t-shirt and/or non-MC footwear.

Gear can't protect you if you don't use it. If you were there and I saw you, I hope to see you all again and to meet many more next year!

This is one of the saddest pics I have ever shared :( Rubber side = UP! :cry:..

Wrecked 8.2020.jpg
Post Wreck 8.2020.jpg

I'm all good, we will be back next year!

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the update. Glad you and the bike came through it as well as you did. I had a similar experience on a downhill decreasing radius turn on my first ride to Lake Hope several years ago. Was in the inside lane, couldn't hold it, and wound up on the outside of the oncoming lane before I got stopped. Steep drop off into trees from that point. If there had been an oncoming vehicle, I could have been roadkill. I now assume all blind downhill curves are going to be decreasing radius turns.

Living in Louisiana, I wear a mesh jacket and pants for most of the year. The airflow is very good, and keeps me from getting hot. Not sure what size you would need, but here are several mesh jackets currently up for auction by Goodwill: Men's M River Road Black Riding Jacket Men's 40 Cortech Black Cycling Jacket There will be new stuff added every M-F, some of it NWT. Listings - shopgoodwill.com

·
Registered
'09 Rebel, '19 Baja Pulsar 180, '04 Hardley XL 883 Sportster
36 Posts
Ever notice that when you mention that you had an accident or dropped your bike, The questions always start with, "is the bike OK ?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Made it back OK. As Guba noted, I had an accident on Friday and was unable to make the ride(s) from there. This accident was the result of a mis-navigated turn, or failure to react properly. I went too wide on a downhill decreasing apex left turn, low-sided, slid a few feet on concrete and tumbled on grass. I watched Kuro slide off the road with me, then on the grass for ~10 ' and then it did a highside flip and dropped out of site. It was horrible to watch-my heart sank! All of the roads in these hills drop off to scenery a few feet from the road, so you know if/when you wipe, you could get pretty banged up. The bike immediately high-sided/flipped into a thicket of bushes and was sitting there, rubber side up, slightly suspended in the bushes, gas pouring through th cap. Horrible scene seeing my bike like that. Wifey rescued me, we pulled it out and got it back up to the cabin. I thought it was toast, but luckily it suffered little damage. Front fender, engine guard, and L shock top got scraped pretty bad. Pedals got mangled but mounts and levers are not bent. Had NC Street Shield EX on so it took the initial hits and saved my mirrors and controls. Clutch cable got bent/scarred at adjusting nut, so will replace. Gas tank had a small depression where the triple tree hot (gooseneck gave a little and the tree rotated) but no major dent! Rear fender, seat, and everything else is untouched! Forks look great. I am glad there were no trees involved! Tins and tank needed a repaint anyway.

I lost some of my forearmor b/c I only had on a mechanic shirt. It is a Carhart, and protected me as I rolled over, but the forearms are exposed so I got some unwanted tattoos. I jammed my left thumb/wrist quite good when I lowsided too. Bell Revolver helmet had a nice scrape on the face and saved me some skin. My hand hurt just enough to keep me from safely operating my other bike, so put them down for the weekend.. I had trouble loading and unloading too. Now need to heal my hand, so am not riding for several weeks.

In spite of the accident I had a great time as usual. It was nice breaking bread with the group and meeting new people. I really enjoy this trip for more than just the MC'ing. We have our dogs, so went walking and fishing too. We went up to Walmart in Logan and ended up fishing at Lake Logan for a couple of hours and met several nice people there. I also found the road we (very) mistakenly took returning from Columbus a few years ago called Wandling Road which starts from Haydenville Road in Haydenville and goes south. Just let me say this country road is not meant for minivans at all and I was lucky we made it through the loose gravel and severe inclines/declines while twisting through the forest, at night!. Not one of my best decisions at all, some of the scariest 10-15 minutes of driving in my life! We actually passed a couple of houses up there! Will never forget this-or take that road again!.

Anyway, while I was disappointed in myself for having an accident, it could have been a lot worse My best 1/2 was there for me as usual and nursed me well. Uncle Nearest helped me get over the blow to my ego, my wounds will heal, and the bike can be fixed.

I am thankful to be here to tell my story and have learned from this experience, as I do every time I ride.

I think I am going to look for an advanced riders course, protective long sleeve summer shirts, and the best gloves I can find! Wifey says I can get a new helmet too! Liking the Bell Bullitt, gloss black of course! I also will employ ATGATT faithfully, regardless if I am just 'going local' or 'not getting on the interstate' or 'its too hot' either of which I use as an excuse to wear a t-shirt and/or non-MC footwear.

Gear can't protect you if you don't use it. If you were there and I saw you, I hope to see you all again and to meet many more next year!

This is one of the saddest pics I have ever shared :( Rubber side = UP! :cry:..

View attachment 109261 View attachment 109262

I'm all good, we will be back next year!
Glad you were ok and the bike. Till next year.

·
Registered
'09 Rebel, '19 Baja Pulsar 180, '04 Hardley XL 883 Sportster
36 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was just ready to jack my frt. up to change rotor and was trying to remember where the good jack point was and there's your pic.. LOL !! Notice, when you mention having a tumble, the 1st question, "Is the bike hurt ?!" Good you're basically OK. Well, keep it between the ditches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts