Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 87 Honda rebel 450 for under $1000. The guy I bought it off of hated to get rid of it. This is my first bike and I have just a couple questions maybe some of you can answer. The bike is a burnt orange color. Is that a rare color for a 87 450. Also there’s no stickers on the tank. So I assume the previous owner painted it. If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate it. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Here's a site with Honda color codes so you should be able to match the code on your bike and find the color it was leaving the factory, assuming the codes go that far back. Find The Color Code of Your Honda Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok been riding the bike for a while and I notice that it bogs down when cruising at a certain speed. I know I need to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw but I can’t find it. I know the bike has 2 carbs so would that mean there’s 2 mixture screws. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
2 carbs = 2 af screws

however... it's probably not the af screws

sounds like the main jets are dirty

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
I just bought a 87 Honda rebel 450 for under $1000. The guy I bought it off of hated to get rid of it. This is my first bike and I have just a couple questions maybe some of you can answer. The bike is a burnt orange color. Is that a rare color for a 87 450. Also there’s no stickers on the tank. So I assume the previous owner painted it. If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate it. Thank you
'87 had black and "candy glory" red

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe I found the af screws but they have a metal tab on them and I can only do like 3/4 of a turn. Also I did run some seafoam through it. So should I adjust the af screws and do the throttle down way or clean the carbs.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Add some SeaFoam to the gas and see how it goes from there. Run through a tank of gas. Don't skimp on the dose.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
I believe I found the af screws but they have a metal tab on them and I can only do like 3/4 of a turn. Also I did run some seafoam through it. So should I adjust the af screws and do the throttle down way or clean the carbs.
it's not the af screws - clean the carbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually did run a tank through with sea foam. Also noticed the previous owner took out the first baffle and drilled holes in the second one. I read somewhere that could make it run lean. What’s your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Sea Foam isn't a strong enough solvent to clean anything but a slightly dirty carb. Running the carbs through an ultrasonic cleaner is the best, and the next best is extended soaking of only the metal parts in Berryman Chem Dip. Jacks Rebel Warehouse cleans, refurbishes and balances carbs. If you send him your carbs, they will come back ready to install and ride. Jack's Rebel Warehouse - Rebel Catalog, Honda Rebel parts and accessories

Are you sure the holes in the second baffle were made by the previous owner? Usually, removing one or two baffles (IIRC, there are three) doesn't require changing jets.

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
Only if it improves performance. There's a description of how to adjust the carb for optimum performance in the service manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts