Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I bought a 1985 Honda rebel, and I bought it without a carburetor and no keys.. I was looking through the forum a little and found something about a key code to be able to get a replacement key, I looked Kinda where the places it said to look and I’m just not having much luck.. any help would be much appreciated... (photos in the how to would be Great!)

Also, if the ignition I have doesn’t have a key code then where should I get a replacement ignition set up and also wanna try to match the gas tank lock as well..

Also I need to buy a whole carburetor setup so if anyone can point me in a trusted direction on where to get one that would be much appreciated as well!
I’ll attach some photos of the bike and the ignition set up I currently have!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
take another look at the ignition - all over - carefully - the code is there but it's not going to stand out

@flitecontrol may have a carb for sale - he is a trusted carb mechanic

or call Jack's Rebel Warehouse in Florida for a good clean carb - it's going to cost a few bills but that's what they cost

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
The key code, usually a letter and several numbers, is on the bottom of the ignition, fork lock, and helmet lock. If you can't see it on the ignition, the fork lock is the next best place to look. I'll have to see if I have a complete first generation (1985-87) carb, if you are interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just went through something similar a few months ago. Like flitecontrol said, the code on the ignition will be on the bottom of the ignition switch, embossed into the black plastic next to one of the screw holes. You should be able to access it based on your photos. I needed to use a flashlight to see as it was pretty faded. There will also be a stream of letters and numbers before it. The key code will be the last three-- a letter and two numbers. However, for some reason even after I found the code the key I had made didn't fit into the ignition (the locksmith assured me it was the right key), so ultimately had to re-wire a new switch. Hoping it's easier for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bring the ignition switch (and tank lock too if possible, might consider bringing the whole tank) to your locksmith (ask first over the phone)
They might be able to get the right key made if you leave the parts with them for a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bring the ignition switch (and tank lock too if possible, might consider bringing the whole tank) to your locksmith (ask first over the phone)
They might be able to get the right key made if you leave the parts with them for a few days.
yea, I figure that would be the last thing I would do is bring it all in..just didn’t know if they would trip out thinking parts are stolen or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key code, usually a letter and several numbers, is on the bottom of the ignition, fork lock, and helmet lock. If you can't see it on the ignition, the fork lock is the next best place to look. I'll have to see if I have a complete first generation (1985-87) carb, if you are interested.
definitely interested in the carb if you have one! Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take another look at the ignition - all over - carefully - the code is there but it's not going to stand out

@flitecontrol may have a carb for sale - he is a trusted carb mechanic

or call Jack's Rebel Warehouse in Florida for a good clean carb - it's going to cost a few bills but that's what they cost
Thank you for all the information! I found the key code after all. Maybe looking at it after work at night wasn’t the best idea lol

but I’ll look into that carb mechanic thank you!

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
You're welcome. I checked ebay earlier, and there were no first generation carbs, but they do show up from time to time. I was surprised to see several pre-owned second generation carbs that were priced for more than a new carb costs. Not sure where they pulled their prices from, but must think there's a sucker born every minute.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So the other day I bought a 1985 Honda rebel, and I bought it without a carburetor and no keys.. I was looking through the forum a little and found something about a key code to be able to get a replacement key, I looked Kinda where the places it said to look and I’m just not having much luck.. any help would be much appreciated... (photos in the how to would be Great!)

Also, if the ignition I have doesn’t have a key code then where should I get a replacement ignition set up and also wanna try to match the gas tank lock as well..

Also I need to buy a whole carburetor setup so if anyone can point me in a trusted direction on where to get one that would be much appreciated as well!
I’ll attach some photos of the bike and the ignition set up I currently have!
You're going to have to know how many times the left cylinder will spark per revolution.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
The Rebel has a wasted spark type ignition. Each cylinder fires on each revolution; once on compression, and another on exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts