Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently bought this 2006 Honda rebel. He said “carburetor has been rebuilt” and it was and it works fine when it gets warmed up. So my problem is when I first start it and as I get going the bike gets jerky almost like the carb is cutting out for a second then kicking in but remember this is only when I first start it up once I ride it for a little bit it’s fine. Any one know what this could be ?

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Welcome. Are you pulling the enricher tab (choke) toward you when starting a cold engine? It's the lever on the left handlebar controls. Most bikes don't need more than 1/3 to 1/2, possibly more in very cold weather. Gradually push it to the full off position as the engine warms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not all the time it’s just when I try to get up and go when it’s not warmed up it stutters and hasn’t cut out but it jerks back in forth like it’s losing and gain a lot of rpms could this be carb related or just bc it’s an older engine and needs to warm up first

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
So are you using the enricher some times or not at all? Most, but not all, Rebel engines require enrichment when cold. If you have to use the enricher, are you keeping it on until the engine is fully warm? Hopping on the bike after it has idled just long enough for the oil to circulate will warm the engine quickly. Gradually push the enricher completely off as the engine warms and it's no longer needed to keep the engine from bogging. Not using the enricher if the bike needs it will create the jerking/hesitation you describe, as will turning it off too soon..

Whether an engine is old or new, they should warm up just as quickly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 96 - 250 does the same thing when cold and just a little enrichener overcomes it, about two miles and it is fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I think that is what it is because once it warms up it works with no problems but if it sits outside in thr cold for a couple hours she definitely struggles but thanks now I know I have to let her warm up some before I go riding

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
now I know I have to let her warm up some before I go riding
Actually, you don't have to let it warm up before riding. Let it idle while you finish putting on your gear, hop on, and ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts