Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my bike has had two major issues.

The first is that my bike won't start without using my choke at halfway, or will only start when the bike has been warmed up a bit. This used to not be an issue.

Secondly, my bike has been having shifting issues. Sometimes when I shift to second from first, I'll begin to speed up and the clutch will then slip into neutral. Additionally, sometimes my bike has trouble shifting from neutral into first, like it just won't allow the bike to sometimes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
Welcome manonthemoon, good to have you here?
First what year is your bike and how long has it been sitting? If you were using it regularly and then this started to occur I would assume you don't have a fuel filter on your bike. It's likely something from the fuel got into carburetor.
As far as popping out of second gear into neutral, that sounds more like a problem that many of us have when we don't fully engage into second.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome manonthemoon, good to have you here?
First what year is your bike and how long has it been sitting? If you were using it regularly and then this started to occur I would assume you don't have a fuel filter on your bike. It's likely something from the fuel got into carburetor.
As far as popping out of second gear into neutral, that sounds more like a problem that many of us have when we don't fully engage into second.
Thanks for the advice and welcome!

The year of the bike is 2009. Before I got the bike it sat around a lot (I bought it when the bike only had 200 miles on it 2 years ago). Since then I have put around 2,000 miles on it. Since I have owned the bike, it doesn't sit around too much, although it isn't used much for long distance trips.

I just checked and I believe you are right that I don't have a fuel filter. Is it possible for me to clean the carburetor with little mechanical experience?

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Many Rebs need choke to start! Don't know why that's an issue, maybe you need to do more riding. Use some Seafoam in the gas.

As for shifting, dirty oil is a cause. Honda says to change oil at 4K miles. Every time I did that shifting was troublesome. I noticed that when I got over 3K shifting was problematic. I change oil every 2K miles. With that said, when I have a lazy foot it will still slip out of gear!

Additionally, Honda never said to shift from 2nd to 1st in the manual. The manual states to down shift into 3rd, but that's it!

And some more...You shouldn't shift into 1st until your speed is is under 25 MPH! NOT IN THE MANUAL! Even while coasting with clutch. Another Rebel quirk...

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
Most of the bikes I've ever had do not like to drop into first until you're below 20 miles an hour. It's been the same with the other bikes that I've had. Most of them Hondas.🙂
My 1st gen Rebel doesn't seem to mind over 4000 miles before changing the oil. I've never noticed that it shifts any differently at higher milage. Hmmm...

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
My 1st gen Rebel doesn't seem to mind over 4000 miles before changing the oil.
What's the total mileage on your Rebel?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Now, mine is about 47,000. Still running like a top. Just did 400 miles on Tuesday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts