Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Honda Rebel 250, 5,500 Miles, New battery installed about 5 years ago. It was ok this morning, but I could not start it in the afternoon, there were very light sound when I push the ignition button but no clicks, I was lucky enough to get it started on my last try after about 10 tries. Is it time to replace the battery? How do I check the battery, and which brand name do you recommend for an new battery? Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
Trickle charge the old battery and use a meter to measure how many volts it has immediately after charging - should be 13.2-13.5. Then using an assistant, measure what the voltage is while cranking - shouldn't drop below11.8 or so. Once the engine is running, at idle, measure the voltage again - 12.8+ If not, battery probably needs to be replaced.

Yuasa makes great batteries that last a long time. Amazon had the best prices the last time I bought one for the Rebel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only way to test a sealed battery is with a load tester, if you like tools you can buy one for under $50, if not see if your local auto parts store has one and can test the battery for you. Give the battery a full charge before you test it. With a load tester you put it under load for 10 or 15 seconds and if it can maintain cold cranking amperage it's ok, if it can't it isn't.

-Bob

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The only way to test a sealed battery is with a load tester, if you like tools you can buy one for under $50, if not see if your local auto parts store has one and can test the battery for you. Give the battery a full charge before you test it. With a load tester you put it under load for 10 or 15 seconds and if it can maintain cold cranking amperage it's ok, if it can't it isn't.

-Bob
I agree that's the best way on preventive maintenance to check a battery BEFORE it lets you down. but @flitecontrol instructions to use a volt meter while/after cranking is a very good troubleshooting step to see if it's the battery that is already letting you down. :smile2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts