Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

Introductions

459K views 3K replies 689 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
Welcome to the newly added introduction forum. Stop in a tell about yourself and about your bike (s)

as for my garage there sits

2004 Harley Davidson FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide (Electric Blue)
2001 Honda Rebel 250 (Black)
2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Kawasaki Green) (currently in N.C.)
1988 Honda Shadow 600 VLX (Burgandy)
1985 Honda Rebel 250 Chopper Project. (Primer :lol:)

#3 ·
Not sure what the laws are in your state, but here we'd have to have insurance & at least a rider's permit to be street legal.

If you have a large abandoned parking lot in your area, that would be an ideal place to start without having to worry about traffic. Heck, when first learning to ride there's enough to pay attention to without having to watch out for cagers who aren't even watching out for themselves, LOL!

#4 ·
ride safe

hey brooks, congrads on your new bike. JUst keep one thing in mind when you're out learning to ride. Allways drive others arround you. people in cars tend to forget about motorcyclist and will cut you off or flat out forget about you. i've seen it many times.Personnally, i allways have an escape route, that is i pick a spot to ride to incase something comes at me, trust me a spill in the grass is better than becoming a hood ornament. Keep safety in mind and you'll have a blast learning to ride.

#5 ·
New 2006 Rebel Owner

Howdy,

Bought a 2006 Rebel in April, Pearl White. 48 years old. New Rider. I bought the bike for commuting mostly to save gas $$$. No disappointments there.

I am enjoying the backroads to work. I believe I bought the correct bike for learning to ride. I may be a little large of frame for the Rebel, but it is a fun ride on short commutes and sidetrips. I am very pleased with the bike, especially for the value, and it looks good too.

-KRAZYTEX

#90 ·
Same Bike, Same Boat

Hey Krazytex ~

If you're still ridin' your Rebel, you've got 3 years on the saddle already. I too got a pearl white Rebel, but I'm starting with mine at 53, where you got yours at 48. Are you IN Texas, or just "born Texan?" I live in Southeastern Oklahoma, right at Lake Texoma. If you're anywhere in this part of the Universe, perhaps we'll meet up some time. I'm still waiting for my bike to get here, should be around August 10th.

Anyone else around here in the Texas/Oklahoma Lake Texoma area? :rolleyes:

~ Les

Howdy,

Bought a 2006 Rebel in April, Pearl White. 48 years old. New Rider. I bought the bike for commuting mostly to save gas $$$. No disappointments there... <snip>

-KRAZYTEX

#7 ·
That is the normal response to the rebel, its a great bike, and what better way to save gas. Not very many people turn up unhappy on the rebel. I think you made a good choice.

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie
#9 ·
GearJammer said:
Howdy, KRAZYTEX!

Yes, you definitely made the right choice in buying the Rebel. It's track record speaks for itself. Voted the #1 Entry Level bike for several years now, if I'm not mistaken.

Ride Safe.......
I'm not a new rider. I've been riding since I was 9 years old! However, when it came time to buy a 'commuter' (Igot tired of filling up the Grand Cherokee every week to go to work) I was happy to jump on the Rebel. It's just the right size, it gets AWESOME gas mileage and it's a good looking bike!

BTW....My real name is Cathy, I live in Southern California and just purchased a new (yup...new out of the box) 2001 Rebel, sapphire blue.

#11 ·
Hi from Hillsboro OR (think Portland.) I just bought my fiancee her first motorcycle, a 1985 Honda Rebel 250 with 6800 original miles. I turn a lot of wrenches on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and my 1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4, but I haven't worked on a bike since high school. I'm looking forward to it!

I'll be posting a writeup on the bike (with pics) soon!

-Dave

#35 ·
dear good choice

i personally have to say that i think you made a good buy on the 250 rebel. it just so happens that my first bike was a cherry red 1985 rebel and WOW! what a great bike it has been.short of replacing a few batteries and old tires it is still running like a champ.hope she enjoys the ride

#13 ·
Welcome aboard, Dave.....A lady passed thru here locally a few months ago, she arrived with her friend who stayed here & then she herself was heading home to Oregon. I mentioned the town where "Chopper Rick" lives, but she never heard of it & said that there's a LOT of small towns scattered thru the state that she never heard of until she'd been thru 'em ;)

Ride Safe.....

#15 ·
Hillsboro, eh? I drive through there(on I-5) everytime we head down to the Florence dunes with our quads! My daughter and I have an '85 250 as well, with not quite so few miles, but they are killer bikes, and I know you folks will love it. welcome aboard!

#16 ·
Hi all. My name is Ed and I am an addict.. Well, addicted to my new Rebel anyways. Shes a 2005 black and chrome 250 with only 1800 miles on her. She had only 974 when I got her. Aside from windshield shes bone stock. Oh, about the mileage. I got her 2 weeks ago with 974 and now she has 1800 so you can tell shes my favorite.

#19 ·
Welcome to the forums, jimmbo! Gotta agree with you... riding to and from work makes going to work a whole lot more pleasant! But then.. you have to wait 8 hours to get off of work to ride again... so goes the circle of life... <sigh>

#20 ·
Wow, introductions.

I should have done this a long time ago.

I've been riding since I was seven.

currently have:

1981 Suzuki TS250
2002 Honda Rebel
2005 Kawasaki ZR1000
1994 Mustang GT Convertible
2001 F-150
2005 Freelander (slightly modded, more to come)

soon to come:
2008 Mustang GT or Sport Trac V8

#21 ·
Oh... and as far as introductions go, I rode when I was a kid.. on a small 50cc bike (when I was 8-10 years old). I didn't ride at all anymore until just recently (REAL recently.. as in May of this year!).

I currently have only 2 bikes:

2000 Honda Elite 80
2006 Honda Rebel 250

I probably won't own anything else for awhile.. but, I am keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used Honda Shadow. As you can see, I really like Hondas! ;)

Oh, and I have 2 vehicles:

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (my wife-kiddos hauler)
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL

#22 ·
Hello everybody.

I ran across an '86 Rebel on the roadside yesterday and stopped to ask about it. The bike looks rough and needs work, but it runs and I got it for $500.00. I'm hoping to get it restored to its original state and enjoy riding it. Since I've never really worked on a motorcycle before, this should be a challenge, but one I think I can handle.

I just thought I'd say hello and let everyone know I'm here.

#26 ·
Thanks for the replys and welcoming comments, everyone. The bike is a 250. I would have liked to found a 450 for that price, but I still couldn't pass it up. I found a 450 back last spring, but the guy wanted close to $5,000 for it so I passed that one up. I figure by the time I get done with this bike, I'll probably have $1,200 or so in it, maybe a little more, but I can't wait to get it done.

I'll be posting pictures and blogging the progress on it soon and I'll link to it so everybody that's interested can see the bike and my progress on it as I get her back to her original glory. I love the look and feel of these bikes. I learned to ride on a Rebel 250 back when I took the state-sponsored riding course many years ago and always wanted one.

My first purchase will be a shop manual of some type so I can get it apart and back together again. If anyone has any suggestions there, feel free to PM me.

#27 ·
Looking forward to your on-going progress with the Reb. Before & after pics are always cool to have for one's own scrapbook as well.......

As far as manuals, Clymer's offers a pretty decent one & they can always be found on eBay or probably at your local indie shop. An even better manual would be the actual Honda OEM Service Manual........this one would be a bit pricey, but would have essentially all the info that the dealer Techs have. I found an OEM Manual for the 450 on eBay (used, $25, worth every penny).......

There's also a website if I recall correctly that will reprint manuals per request.....Helm, Inc. ? www.helminc.com ?

#28 ·
Hello and nice to meet you!

This i smy first bike. My husband has had several and after quizzing me on my style preference, turned me towards the Rebel, and especially the 450. I love the look and as he explains it, will love the 450 as its enough to get out of trouble if someone's trying to change lanes into you! Unfortunately the bike shown in my profile is in my folks garage in Washington for now as we purchased it off craigslist and I can't take the MRS class until the spring! So we're here in Alaska and I'm bikeless until then. he has a Honda NT 650 that he's working on to get it ready for spring - another craigslist purchase. Thank the bike gods that be for Alaska Marine Lines to get them up here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.