Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 3,189 Posts
Oh... and as far as introductions go, I rode when I was a kid.. on a small 50cc bike (when I was 8-10 years old). I didn't ride at all anymore until just recently (REAL recently.. as in May of this year!).

I currently have only 2 bikes:

2000 Honda Elite 80
2006 Honda Rebel 250

I probably won't own anything else for awhile.. but, I am keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used Honda Shadow. As you can see, I really like Hondas! ;)

Oh, and I have 2 vehicles:

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (my wife-kiddos hauler)
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL

Hello everybody.

I ran across an '86 Rebel on the roadside yesterday and stopped to ask about it. The bike looks rough and needs work, but it runs and I got it for $500.00. I'm hoping to get it restored to its original state and enjoy riding it. Since I've never really worked on a motorcycle before, this should be a challenge, but one I think I can handle.

I just thought I'd say hello and let everyone know I'm here.

Running? 500 bucks? I don't think you went wrong. I'd like to find a deal like that. Whatever problems it has, there's lots of friendly, smart people here just lookin' for an opportunity to help. Is it a 250 or 450?

Yup, kick back and dump questions here as you bring the bike up to snuff (or is that up to speed?)

;-)

Running? 500 bucks? I don't think you went wrong. I'd like to find a deal like that. Whatever problems it has, there's lots of friendly, smart people here just lookin' for an opportunity to help. Is it a 250 or 450?
Thanks for the replys and welcoming comments, everyone. The bike is a 250. I would have liked to found a 450 for that price, but I still couldn't pass it up. I found a 450 back last spring, but the guy wanted close to $5,000 for it so I passed that one up. I figure by the time I get done with this bike, I'll probably have $1,200 or so in it, maybe a little more, but I can't wait to get it done.

I'll be posting pictures and blogging the progress on it soon and I'll link to it so everybody that's interested can see the bike and my progress on it as I get her back to her original glory. I love the look and feel of these bikes. I learned to ride on a Rebel 250 back when I took the state-sponsored riding course many years ago and always wanted one.

My first purchase will be a shop manual of some type so I can get it apart and back together again. If anyone has any suggestions there, feel free to PM me.

Looking forward to your on-going progress with the Reb. Before & after pics are always cool to have for one's own scrapbook as well.......

As far as manuals, Clymer's offers a pretty decent one & they can always be found on eBay or probably at your local indie shop. An even better manual would be the actual Honda OEM Service Manual........this one would be a bit pricey, but would have essentially all the info that the dealer Techs have. I found an OEM Manual for the 450 on eBay (used, $25, worth every penny).......

There's also a website if I recall correctly that will reprint manuals per request.....Helm, Inc. ? www.helminc.com ?

Hello and nice to meet you!

This i smy first bike. My husband has had several and after quizzing me on my style preference, turned me towards the Rebel, and especially the 450. I love the look and as he explains it, will love the 450 as its enough to get out of trouble if someone's trying to change lanes into you! Unfortunately the bike shown in my profile is in my folks garage in Washington for now as we purchased it off craigslist and I can't take the MRS class until the spring! So we're here in Alaska and I'm bikeless until then. he has a Honda NT 650 that he's working on to get it ready for spring - another craigslist purchase. Thank the bike gods that be for Alaska Marine Lines to get them up here!

Welcome aboard, NAC & congrats on your 450 Rebel score! ;)

You've got the advantage of having your husband's advice & experience to draw from, which is cool. From what I can see in the pic, your Reb looks to be in very good condition & she should serve you well......

Normally, I tend to recommend something in the 250cc class as a starter bike, but others have successfully learned on larger bikes. (My 1st bike was a 750cc Triumph triple, which I managed to put thru a fence the first week, LMAO!) Please don't let that deter you........the 750 Triumph had amazing power & the bike got away from me. The 450 Reb certainly has respectable power & can do as your husband told you & you should easily be able to manage the Reb without the worry of overkill torque at the rear wheel trying to ruin your day ;)

The MSF Course is a wise decision also.........Two points worth mentioning to please keep in mind:

It's preferable & safer as long as you can flatfoot the bike for more balance control while stopped.
I found the 450 Reb to feel a bit "top heavy" when jockeying the bike around while standing next to it. For my own preference, I put 250 Rebel shocks on it, which effectively lowered it for better flatfooting & jockeying cooperation (not that you have to do that, it was simply my own choice is all)

Enjoy & Ride Safe.......

Thankz Gearjammer!

That's something I'm trying to spend the winter doing - researching how the cmx250 and cmx450 parts can be interchangeable. I like your idea. I'm 5'1", maybe another 1/2 inch if I stretch, but I should be able to sit flat footed on it - I stopped by Honda here and sat on a Shadow which I believe has the same seat height.

I scout eBay for parts and accessories but don't know what of the 250 will fit the 450?? Also looking for a good resource for saddlebags - preferably nylon or something waterproof, and locking.

Ubetcha......;)

Unfortunately, there's very little interchangeability of parts between the 250/450......the shocks, obviously, for those simply wanting to make that modification.

As far as standard replacement parts, pretty sure that the coils & speedo drive are interchangeable.....maybe a couple more parts. If anyone knows for sure, please let NAC know, O.K. ?

newbee

I just got a 2002 honda rebel cmx250c with only 350 miles on it, for only $1500. bikes been in storage for a long time by a family I know. I have had the bike now for three weeks and put another 800 miles on it. This is my first motorcycle and I love it!!! I plan to put a windshield on and I just bought a 30 teeth sprocket for back wheel for $20 (That should help with the missing 6th gear that they are known for.) I really want to turn it into a chopper by extending front forks. I like to make it a one seater with back rest. So please welcome me to the forum. thank you.

Just me

Its Just me,
I from Bloomingburg Ohio, I rode dirts bike as a kid, my job the last 16 years did not alot enough time to enjoy the ride. 2 years ago i rans across a 1985 Honda rebel 250 ( was looking and still am a cheap 450) sitting in a junk yard bought it for $400.00 bucks took it home, it is still in the process of trying to be redone, but riding gets in the way. It had 4003 miles on it , it know has 10,431 it is coming along well, mostly worked on it the winter. Thank for the warm welcome.

Hi,
I have ridden on the back of several bikes and always wanted to learn to drive one.I am 57 years old and just bought me a 2003 Honda Rebel 250.I hope I can get up enough courage to try to drive it. I did go get me a beginners permit.

dear good choice

Hi from Hillsboro OR (think Portland.) I just bought my fiancee her first motorcycle, a 1985 Honda Rebel 250 with 6800 original miles. I turn a lot of wrenches on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and my 1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4, but I haven't worked on a bike since high school. I'm looking forward to it!

I'll be posting a writeup on the bike (with pics) soon!

-Dave
i personally have to say that i think you made a good buy on the 250 rebel. it just so happens that my first bike was a cherry red 1985 rebel and WOW! what a great bike it has been.short of replacing a few batteries and old tires it is still running like a champ.hope she enjoys the ride

I'm 55 just bought a 2008 Rebel re-introduced myself to riding again because of the gas prices. Realize now that I should not have stopped back in the late 70's. Will be taking the Basic Riders Course this week then hopefully received my license for my efforts.
I'm in the western New York area.

New today.

Have been with the other forum since 2005. Found this forum yesterday while doing a search for the 30 toothed sprocket change. Anyway, I have a 2006, Black Rebel 250 that my wife just had to have. I probably have put more miles than she on it. Also, have a 2003 Sportster and a 1989 Kawasaki 454LTD. I am in central SC, but like to ride the mountains of NC and WV. I ride to work most every day that it isn't raining even when it is cold. I am a school teacher. You can find me riding just for fun around Augusta, Aiken, Saluda, Columbia, Charleston, and Newberry.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Welcome to the site, I dropped off the other site around 2004/2005.

Sounds like you are not to far from here, we're in georgia about 30 miles west of anderson, we usually go to hooters in anderson on thursday nights, if the weather is decent.

Greetings!
From others' postings, I certainly won't feel out of place here. I'm 53, haven't been on a bike since 1991, but like so many others, the high gas prices overcame my wife's objections, and she finally gave me the OK get a bike. Sound like a familiar story? (Not allowed to ride it on the freeway here in Dallas, tho.) Last week took possession of a black 2008 Rebel, and that one was hard to come by. There just aren't any to be had in the 5 state area, so I'm told.
Anyway, glad to be back in the saddle, and to have found this forum. Like I mentioned, I'm in Dallas, Texas, in case there are any others from this area on this forum.

21 - 40 of 3,189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.