Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
3,181 - 3,189 of 3,189 Posts
Hi, my name is Mitchell, This is my first street bike. 1986 450c rebel. I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life and a few street bikes of friends but I've had this bike for a few weeks and already dumped it because the front brakes locked up after building up tons of heat without me knowing. After the ER and a few days of healing, I took them apart and cleaned the master out and flushed the lines clean and took out the Pistons. The O rings are bad so I'm trying to find a new Master and a new caliper instead of rebuilding the one on it that's damaged from the fall. It bent the bleed valve and inner threads.

I'm looking for help on finding a new caliper, highway bars, and handlebars. I've seen the Honda vt1000 has the same kind of pegs and wish I knew which other parts will fit. Right now the bike has a dent in the tank, some valve tapping and the carb needs rebuilt and cleaned but it fires right up. The front brakes are what's stopping me from riding it, just from fear of it happening again even though they seem to work fine now.
Sorry for the long introduction, hopefully I can find the questions here that I'm looking for.

I plan to strip it down soon to rebuild the carb and then learn how to adjust the valves. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined with vehicles but not motorcycles. I've never rebuilt a carb or adjusted valves but downloaded the manuals with instructions.
Highway bars are really what I want to find first because it sucked having my leg stuck under it when it fell. Lol.

Welcome to The Forum. A lot of people will be very happy you've got a 450 & getting it back on the road great :)!

Welcome to the forum. Have you taken a basic street riding course?

Look here: 1986 Honda CMX450C A FRONT BRAKE CALIPER | Cheap Cycle Parts

The entire caliper is no longer available, but the seals and O-rings are. You may be able to take the old O-rings to a store and match them up.
The sell the rebuild kit on eBay for 30 dollars which is kind of expensive so I'll try the local hardware store. The calipers on eBay say they fit my bike and look very similar.

doubt you will find square cut caliper piston o-rings at hardware store..
Square cut o-ring is required to draw back piston when pressure is released..
bottom of caliper piston seal grove is angled and must be cleaned out well..
pressure on piston distends/deforms square cut o-ring, when pressure released seal springs back drawing piston with it away from disk..

Raybestos Bulletin 18-01

Vertebrate Automotive lighting Font Line Auto part

$30 for 2 piston seals and 2 dust seals isn't that expensive imho..

braided stainless brake line will improve braking substantially over rubber lines which have a tendency to deteriorate interiorly especially after 30+ years..

Hand Automotive tire Finger Rim Button

Galfer Performance Motorcycle Braking Systems

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie
Hi, my name is Mitchell, This is my first street bike. 1986 450c rebel. I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life and a few street bikes of friends but I've had this bike for a few weeks and already dumped it because the front brakes locked up after building up tons of heat without me knowing. After the ER and a few days of healing, I took them apart and cleaned the master out and flushed the lines clean and took out the Pistons. The O rings are bad so I'm trying to find a new Master and a new caliper instead of rebuilding the one on it that's damaged from the fall. It bent the bleed valve and inner threads.

I'm looking for help on finding a new caliper, highway bars, and handlebars. I've seen the Honda vt1000 has the same kind of pegs and wish I knew which other parts will fit. Right now the bike has a dent in the tank, some valve tapping and the carb needs rebuilt and cleaned but it fires right up. The front brakes are what's stopping me from riding it, just from fear of it happening again even though they seem to work fine now.
Sorry for the long introduction, hopefully I can find the questions here that I'm looking for.

I plan to strip it down soon to rebuild the carb and then learn how to adjust the valves. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined with vehicles but not motorcycles. I've never rebuilt a carb or adjusted valves but downloaded the manuals with instructions.
Highway bars are really what I want to find first because it sucked having my leg stuck under it when it fell. Lol.
Welcome to the Forum but More Importantly Glad to Hear You are OK!! I don't have any of what your looking for but I can tell You that the Forum Family Here is ALWAYS Ready and Willing to Step Up and Help Each other!!! Just be sure to Post as much Info as you can about your Bike and the Parts you Need and Pictures would be Great and Keep an Eye on the Forum because Help will be Coming in MASS!! Ride Safe Brother!!!!

Hey everyone!

I should have done this over a week ago but my thirst for knowledge overwhelmed me...

I am actually new to riding but a very quick learner.
2020 Amigo rover- stolen on thankgiving
2005 suzuki g500- DOA
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S - traded
1983 Honda CM250C - current
(time frame for these are from june 2020 to now)

Sometimes I've just jumped in with both feet too. Sharp learning curve, but, can (sink or swim), learn very fast.
Welcome. 🙂

The best way to learn the fundamentals of riding are by taking a basic rider course. Self/friend/family taught riders have more wrecks than professionally taught riders, and their injuries tend to be more severe. The Hurt Study Summary - webBikeWorld

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie
3,181 - 3,189 of 3,189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.