Honda Rebel Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3131 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Brand new to this forum. Yesterday I purchased a 2014 Honda Rebel w/ 150 miles on for my wife; her first 2-wheeler. She's riden trikes before. She did well today during her practice time in a parking lot. Proud of her. We live in the north AL area, about 20 miles west of Huntsville (in Athens).

Me, I ride a '13 Kawasaki Concours 1400. Looking forward to connecting here and perusing the wealth of info that's been shared here over the years.

Reactions: kryton

·
Super Moderator
29,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your wife can sign up too.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your wife could get off to a good start riding a 2 wheeler by taking the MSF beginning rider course. They cover a lot in 2 or 3 days nd don;t leave anything important out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your wife could get off to a good start riding a 2 wheeler by taking the MSF beginning rider course. They cover a lot in 2 or 3 days nd don;t leave anything important out.
Yes, I took it myself years ago, but the local "beginner" MSF course now is an aggressive 1-day course that also includes class-work; too aggressive IMO.

I still think she could use it in the near future before she develops any bad habits. We're taking it slow and steady. Her practice day today got rained out.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
One day?? Yeah that is a little ridiculous.. It would not be the MSF course then, because it takes 2 plus days to get through everything on that plus the testing. Surely there is a real beginner course where you live?

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
While I never took a course, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that any MSF sanctioned course is required to be at least two days.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Exactly! I'm teaching a Canada safety Council Course This week. Its based very closely on the MSF course and takes a total of 20 hours classroom and range time. It would be hard to cover it all in less time assuming students of average ability. Sometimes when we have a small class of good students the time drags a little, but I tell people if they are not having trouble with an exercise to keep working to polish it up so they can do it as well as the instructors. Generally the weaker students need some practice time to get the basics. When they stop improving, We move on to the next thing. Amazingly, as time goes on they generally keep improving even if they were never perfect on anything, and by test time they are able to meet the standard.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello all! I'm not new to the bike world. I've had a few Honda's over the years. I like to wrench, old cars, old bikes, old bicycles.. Current project is a Honda Twinstart CM200t. It's a '80, I've converted it from 6 volts to 12, replaced all the lights with LED's, modified the headlight and speedo. Working on a front end swap at this time.

·
Super Moderator
3,801 Posts
Welcome !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new to the street biking community. I just got a 2005 Black Honda Rebel 250 with 3,400 miles. I took the class. Got the gear. Got the Rebel and rode it around the neighborhood to get the feel for it before flying by the seat of my pants and the wind in my face. I used to ride dirt bikes when I was younger so I am not entirely new with motorcycles. It feels natural to be on a motorcycle again! I love it!

Anyway, I was reading your posts and thought I would join up since ya'll seem like a cool bunch of Rebel enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator
7,823 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello! recently got back into riding, Used to ride a '86 450 rebel that I rebuilt on my kitchen table. Rode that bike for many years, got married and raised up 3 kids. Riding kinda got left by the wayside during those days. Come to the present, kids are all grown and starting their own families now. Got a heart transplant last July and figured its time to start doing more things I enjoy, so I bought a 2006 Rebel (Pearl White) a couple of weeks ago. Now just waiting to get my MC endorsement so I can ride further than around the block < just keeping the bike exercised ya know ;) > Looking forward to riding again!

·
Super Moderator
29,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The white 2006 is one of my favorite Rebel colors.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
I'd highly recommend you sign up for a training course. ASAP. In some ways riders returning from a long layoff are more at risk than a pure newbie rider because they lack the healthy fear that newbies have, and have forgotten or perhaps never really learned the skills needed to stay relatively safe on the street these days.

·
Super Moderator
7,823 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd highly recommend you sign up for a training course. ASAP. In some ways riders returning from a long layoff are more at risk than a pure newbie rider because they lack the healthy fear that newbies have, and have forgotten or perhaps never really learned the skills needed to stay relatively safe on the street these days.
No worries there, in Colorado, that's the easiest way to get the endorsement... nothing like a pissed off patrolman standing in the cold watching a rider skills test :eek2:

·
Super Moderator
29,469 Posts
I think they prefer that to having to clean up a motorcycle accident. :eek2:

Reactions: kryton

·
Registered
1 Posts
HEY Y'all

Got 2 rides,

2011 Honda Interstate VT1300CT
2005 Honda Rebel CMX250C (Bobber Project)

My Story:

When I bought my Interstate 6 years ago I gave the 05 Rebel to my older brother (terrible idea). He put around 10,000 totaling miles on it, changed the oil once and never changed the brakes. As it goes front brakes locked up and he wrecked the bike with minor damage. It has now set a year at this point and I retrieved it about a month ago. I've rebuilt the carb and replaced the tank and fuel lines oh and new battery of course... My next project is to replace the clutch.

The plan is to complete the project within a year. I can post pics time to time and will learn / figure this out as I go.

Wish me luck! :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
29,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

3101 - 3120 of 3131 Posts