Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1986 CMX 250 has been sitting for almost two years with just a few rides here and there. In spring I replaced the turn signals, bought a new battery, and managed to go for one ride, wherein the headlight, turn signals, and indicator lights stopped working after two or three minutes. When I got home, I found the 15A fuse for the lights had blown. After that, the bike would burn any fuse I put in. I tried higher amp fuses and recharging the battery, but I am not mechanically inclined and have no clue what to do. A post on this forum leads me to believe it is an intermittent fuse, but I don't know how to fix that. The old bike always has something wrong with it and I'm honestly just looking to get it running so I can sell it. That said, I don't want to pay a shop an arm and a leg just to get it running again if it’s something I can fix myself.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
yup, don't want to learn or pay - sell it for what you can get out of it

if you were within an hour drive of me I would give you $300 based on what you've offered for history

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) I do want to learn, hence my asking how to fix it
2) I do want to pay, but not the inflated prices of the shops near me.
3) Based on your attitude, I wouldn't sell it to you for $1000. I wasn't posting a “for sale” listing, I was asking how to fix a problem on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
hard lesson - it's not going to be do this simple thing and it will solve your problem

motorcycles are not the same as computers

you might find someone near you that has a kind heart and knowledge to diagnose and fix your problem

if so, it might be something simple that takes 5 minutes to fix, or maybe not

or someone who will take advantage of you !!! that costs ... how much money you got?

i don't want your bike, just trying to adjust your expectations, a non running bike does not get the higher prices

knowledge is king! learn stuff

you could fix this for $0 probably - depending on your interest in learning

then maybe you could sell it for $1000 or maybe you would want to keep it because it is such a nice and reliable bike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what I might do is store the bike and then take a class so I’ll know what I’m doing with my bike. It’s a good bike and it deserves to be properly cared for, so I hope I can gain the knowledge to do so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think what I might do is store the bike and then take a class so I’ll know what I’m doing with my bike. It’s a good bike and it deserves to be properly cared for, so I hope I can gain the knowledge to do so.

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
1) I do want to learn, hence my asking how to fix it
2) I do want to pay, but not the inflated prices of the shops near me.
3) Based on your attitude, I wouldn't sell it to you for $1000. I wasn't posting a “for sale” listing, I was asking how to fix a problem on it.
Telling you how to fix it when you don't have a basic understanding of what is needed to diagnose the issue is probably beyond the ability of this forum. If you post where you are located, it's possible another forum member might be close enough and willing to assist/guide you. If you know an independent motorcycle repair shop, they usually charge much less than a dealership. 01-7700 was telling you what a non-running parts bike is worth. With your snippy response to his post, I wouldn't have bothered answering you, but he's a better person than I am.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Telling you how to fix it when you don't have a basic understanding of what is needed to diagnose the issue is probably beyond the ability of this forum. If you post where you are located, it's possible another forum member might be close enough and willing to assist/guide you. If you know an independent motorcycle repair shop, they usually charge much less than a dealership. 01-7700 was telling you what a non-running parts bike is worth. With your snippy response to his post, I wouldn't have bothered answering you, but he's a better person than I am.
As if he wasn't snippy with me first. You're helpful, albeit rude, he was just plain rude with his first response. I don't like this forum and based on the attitudes I always get when I come here for help, it puts me off from the Honda Rebel community (which is funny because the Rebel is a bike for beginners, so the egos of the riders and reluctance to be of a modicum of help don't make sense to me).

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Lots of people have the same reaction when you tell them what their bike is worth non-running.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sound to me like you might have a rat problem, rats love to eat the plastic off the wires of any kind of vehicle, they ate the plastic off a couple of trucks i have had to repair in the past, and a couple bikes, you might want to pull the gas tank and look under it, and look for little chew marks on your wires ,just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
While you described it as an intermittent fuse, it's an intermittent short. With a supply of 15 amp fuses, at night, where it's dark, put a good fuse in and turn the key to on. Look for any spark and listen for an electrical "snap". If you can locate where the spark/snap is coming from, that's where the short is. Probably a bare wire that can be fixed with heat-shrink, electrician's tape, Liquid Tape, etc. Not as fool-proof as chasing it down with a multi-meter, but it works. You should remove the seat to expose more of the wiring harness to make the spark visible. Sending you a note!

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Dark and very quiet so you can hear the zap - and a hand full of fuses so you can try it as many times as necessary - this is the best non-mech advice for this problem for this member - if @Snuzum wants to learn how to do it with a meter there are some very good explanations on how to go about doing that on this forum written by Duckster (the Legend) - use the search feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts