Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, does anyone recommend installing an analog or digital tach on your rebel? Pros and cons, brands, etc? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The second link only goes to the general message boards though. Under what section is that tachometer link, please?

·
Super Moderator
29,127 Posts
For me, the second link pulls up three threads dealing with tachs. If it isn't working for you, do a tag search for tachometer, and you'll see the threads.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Depends on what you want. A tach is a cool bit of bling on the instrument cluster, but for repair/diagnostic/maintenance a cheap digital temporary plug-wire-reading tach does better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Which color tachometer?

Trying not to start a new thread. If I'm going to install a tach, I don't want to look back later and go, I should have …

I think if I got an 8,000 rpm tach, I think I would regret it. Because there are going to be times that I'm going to run over 8,000 rpm. I can't make up my mind if the redline is 8,600, 8,650 or 9,300 rpm. I think I saw a CB250 gauge who's redline was at 9,300. Regardless, there will be instances where I may run over 8,000 rpm for sustained periods of time. 74 mph should be just crossing into the 8,000+ rpm range. Plus there are times running through the gears that may exceed 8,000 rpm as well.

So I found these couple 10,000 rpm tachs that work for motorcycles (2 cylinders). Aside from the fact that they're not inexpensive, which would you guys prefer? The black face / white letter would better match our speedo. But it's black body would stand out. I'm thinking I would choose the chrome body so it wouldn't standout, and a white background versus black background of the speedo, might look kind of "sporty" sitting near each other.

I don't care about the shift light., but this is the best looking 10,000 rpm "motorcycle" tach I have found.

Attachments

Reactions: VAReb

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow those are both sharp looking. Does the one with the white face actually have a chrome body, or is it just a chrome bezel?

What is the process for installing one of these?

·
Registered
340 Posts
VAReb - I may have misspoke. Looking back at the ad, it looks like the bezel is chrome, but the body looks to be more like stainless steel. It does not appear that the whole body is chrome. I'm thinking the white face is easier to read anyway. Is a tachometer needed? Clearly not. I'm riding without one now. But, with a manual transmission, a tachometer seems appropriate to me.

These come with an installation kit. Mainly it comes with a way to handlebar mount. The wiring would be power, ground, and signal. There might be one more wire. But electrons are not my strong point. I wire things up by changing what I've connected to until the fuses stop popping. :D

7milesout

Reactions: VAReb
1 - 8 of 8 Posts