Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. My 1987 Rebel CMX 450cc has been running worse and worse for several months so I took it in to our local bike workshop where the mechanic quickly found that the rubbers connecting the carbs to the aluminium manifolds had become detached thereby sucking air. After several days of contacting all the known UK Honda spares suppliers, USA suppliers and also including the Honda factory and John Silver Spares, it would appear that there are NONE available. The mechanics suggestion was to scrap the bike but my answer was that I would find a way to fix it. I contacted a mechanic friend in South Africa who suggested that I use a non silicone industrial strength adhesive. He suggested SikoFlex EBT+ which I sourced at Screwfix. I thoroughly cleaned both the rubbers and the aluminium manifolds and glued them together. After 48 hours drying time they were delivered to the bike workshop where the mechanic tried to separate them but failed. The bike is now running better than it has since I bought it 4 years ago and is now a joy to ride. As for the gearing of the bike at any speed above 50 mph I was scared that the pistons were at sometime in the near future going to come out through the petrol tank! To overcome this problem I had a 32 tooth rear sprocket manufactured in place of the original 36th tooth. I took out 4 teeth from the chain and the problem was solved as I can now cruise at 70 mph without having to even think about the engine over revving. Ride safe. Ken Tilly

·
Super Moderator
29,740 Posts
Welcome. In my limited 450 riding experience, if the overdrive is engaged, the noise goes down quite a bit. But I mostly ride a 250, and am used to high revs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi everybody. My 1987 Rebel CMX 450cc has been running worse and worse for several months so I took it in to our local bike workshop where the mechanic quickly found that the rubbers connecting the carbs to the aluminium manifolds had become detached thereby sucking air. After several days of contacting all the known UK Honda spares suppliers, USA suppliers and also including the Honda factory and John Silver Spares, it would appear that there are NONE available. The mechanics suggestion was to scrap the bike but my answer was that I would find a way to fix it. I contacted a mechanic friend in South Africa who suggested that I use a non silicone industrial strength adhesive. He suggested SikoFlex EBT+ which I sourced at Screwfix. I thoroughly cleaned both the rubbers and the aluminium manifolds and glued them together. After 48 hours drying time they were delivered to the bike workshop where the mechanic tried to separate them but failed. The bike is now running better than it has since I bought it 4 years ago and is now a joy to ride. As for the gearing of the bike at any speed above 50 mph I was scared that the pistons were at sometime in the near future going to come out through the petrol tank! To overcome this problem I had a 32 tooth rear sprocket manufactured in place of the original 36th tooth. I took out 4 teeth from the chain and the problem was solved as I can now cruise at 70 mph without having to even think about the engine over revving. Ride safe. Ken Tilly
Hi Ken,

Bit late maybe, but are you from SA ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Never too late and yes, I am from SA where I lived in Durban from August 1964 until September 2015. And you also?
No, I am from and we live in the Netherlands. My wife is from Nambia and we have a handful of SA friends here in NL. Therefore my curiosity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts