Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
are you looking for like an injector for each cylinder or like a hilborn injector to replace the carb?

at my work we used to have a exmark mower that had a Kohler Command Pro EFI engine on it, really simple dual injector setup made by Bosch, might be possible to convert it, not sure how to run some of the sensors needed though

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ya might take a look at some snowmobile setups..

·
Registered
116 Posts
did some poking around and came across this thread
http://www.hondarebelforum.com/f76/fuel-injection-11661.html

seems like its possible but youd have to do it from another bike, doesnt seem to be any kits availabe.. did find one site that had several people complaining about how honda should keep up with technology and offer a injected rebel with water cooling, IMO that would kinda take away from it being a simple bike, especially for the beginners out there

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I like the Idea of simplicity... but the number one problem I see over and over again here in the forum is people with scrunged out carbs.. maybe eliminating them could make a Rebel more dependable?

·
Registered
116 Posts
as far as dependability goes i think once the carb is cleaned up it doesnt have any problems with a fuel filter and proper maintance.

the carbs clogging up seems to be from them sitting for any amount of time without either draining the fuel or properly treating the fuel

i think a bigger advantage would be cold climate starting/running and possibly even better fuel mileage and more available horse power... for the guys that mod their bikes i dont know how FI would affect them, would be interesting

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had to do all the carb scrubbing as well... now I am a bit worried my carb would not take another scrubbing...the screws are starting to wobble a bit and may never tighten down again... so maybe this might be the right fix some day?

·
Registered
116 Posts
i too recently had to clean my carb, from what i can tell the 2 possibly 3 PO's were just riding it with the enricher on, scary thought considering the last PO put over 2000 miles on it, i myself ran for 700 miles before figuring it out and cleaning it. couldnt seem to break 50mpg (which i thought was awesome, but now with it running good should be even better)

been alot of posts lately about carbs being dirty with clogged jets, need to make a banner for the site

"Got a Rebel? Clean the carburetor."

as for your screws loosening up, i use Time-Serts at work instead of helicoils. hardened steel insert will never wear out, pretty sure they make em small enough for the carb screws. or you might get by with low strength green loctite to get em to hold, but id be worried about it grabbing more metal the next time you have to disassemble if its too bad.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Interesting topic. When Honda didn't come out with a 2010 Rebel, there was some talk about the new emissions standards, but everyone agreed that there were so many unsold '09s at the dealers that it was a matter of inventory. When the '11 didn't arrive, many including myself felt that Honda wasn't going to go with fuel injection because it would raise the price point to that of another class of bike. When the '12 did arrive, I was not surprised that the price had gone up, but I was surprised that it still had a carb. It was a foregone conclusion ( to some of us, anyway) that an emissions compliant Reb would be fuel injected. This new Reb looks by specs to be the second gen model with California emissions hardware and really cool paint job. Point if there is one to my ramblings, is that some of us figured that the unit cost to Honda to go injected would have been prohibitively high; hence no injected Rebs. I'd love to see a fuel injection mod for $200 or less. I'd even take a week off work to give you guys a thorough review of the process and results. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Honda offers the CBR250 as a single cylinder FI and its $100 cheaper MSRP,

Suzuki offers the TU250X with FI, but not in california.. emissions? and its right on par with the price point for Rebel

just dont see why it would cost too much for honda to make the conversion, or mabe even offer it as an upgrade?

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Considering the little aircooled, no oil filter , 250 engine started life back in the late '70's I doubt if Honda is going to spend any more money on development engineering. It is pretty much at the end of its product life cycle. Possibly a new CMX 250 might be in the cards with a detuned CBR250 engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
Considering the little aircooled, no oil filter , 250 engine started life back in the late '70's I doubt if Honda is going to spend any more money on development engineering. It is pretty much at the end of its product life cycle. Possibly a new CMX 250 might be in the cards with a detuned CBR250 engine.
I have been thinking of fitting a CBR 250 rrr motor to a rebel ,would be a rocket then :lol2:

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
The CBR250R motor is a single cylinder and in my opinion would take away from the appeal of the Rebel.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I've had several carbs apart multiple times. Replaced the Phillips screws with stainless Allen head fasteners and used blue threadlocker when reassembling. Holds things together very well, and no problem taking it apart (again and again:nonono:)

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
The CBR250R motor is a single cylinder and in my opinion would take away from the appeal of the Rebel.
not that one mojo the early model 4cyl RRR motor .:eek2:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was frustrating was all the damage to my carb was totally unnecessary.. I faught for a year of it reaching 45 to 55 MPH then cutting out... went to 6 or more bike shops... they kept saying clean the carbs so over and over I scrubbed them... even rejetting and washers under the diaphragm needle...replaced pugs ..replaced coils.. finally out of desperation I left it with and bicker that was trying to start up his own shop.

He said he had a lot of fun driving the old Warhorse around town for a couple of weeks but did determine it was the CDI unit. Instead of advancing the timing at high RPM it was just shutting the engine off. He went out of business before he found another one for me...and had quite a time getting the building unlocked so I could get my bike back. Found a used CDI and problem was finally solved.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 1986 to 1996? CBR250RR engine was an inline 4 cyl, in 2011 they switched to a single cyl. The older engine made up to 45 hp and 15 ft-lbs compared to the newer model with 26 hp. The 4 cyl reved up to 18,000 rpm as well lol.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My biggest complaint about the rebel has always been lack of power, small riding position, and wonky carbs.
I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEE to have EFI installed on my bike. It would be so much easier to maintain. If an injector goes bad, $100 and boom! Brand new no problems no fine tuning or adjusting or bleeding or gaskets or stripped screws or bad floats. I hate carbs so much. I have had 3 bikes and all of them had carb problems.
I'm going to try and find a compatible EFI system right now. I'll post what I find later.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Funny- I love carbs and don't dig injection. OK- Old school mechanical Hilborn injection is cool on a rad chevy big block but that's a whole different story.

Two cylinders and one carb. Nirvana.

Personally I think the little Rebel has plenty of power. I was having fun riding my daughter's "new" 86 Limited around this weekend. So much so that I preferred it over my Harley...for a minute or two....

The Rebel is a small bike...and I am small. If one is too big...well....maybe a bigger bike is in order? Or modify a Rebel.

Anyway.....any bike (or anything with an engine) could be converted to injection if one wanted to do it. I wouldn't bother doing it with a Rebel...but somebody else might feel different. I am confident Honda will not do it. Why would they?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts