Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 86 450 rebel. I have to replace the ignition switch cause I lost the keys one day and ended up cutting the wires. I got sick of push starting it( bad starter too) and ordered a new one off eBay. The the they sent me has 6 wires. I don't have any money to get a new one so can I make this one work? Thanks in ad

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
ignore parking lamp circuit wire of bikes wiring loom.. it only lights the lamps while allowing key to be removed from switch... that way a six wire switch would work..

Loom color code should be Yellow w/Black tracer.. you can check that using a continuity checker between parking fuse and switch end of cut loom...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I have a brown and a brown with white stripe and a red.( Yellow wire excluded ) coming from fuses.does the solid brown connect to solid black and brown with white stripe to black with white stripe and red on red. I did that, everything works but I can't turn lights off.

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
solid Red is battery + (positive) source from starter solenoid/relay

Solid Black is switched battery + (positive) energized when switched On interconnecting to the solid Red battery circuit..

Brown/White and solid Brown are interconnected.. Brown/White is fused source, ignition switch interconnects the two when switched On

you can download JPG image of CMX450 wiring diagram from
There is also a Minimal wiring diagram for the 450 that has signal lights/wiring removed..

Black/White goes to CDI.. Disables CDI operation when connected to ground, Switch Off
Green is Ground...

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Welcome to The Forum Ezzzzz!
He hasn't been seen since August of last year, so it may take some time to answer. They also might be setting on the side watching stealth, so they may answer yet still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts