Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel CMX250C
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an ignition switch for an 86 CMX250C? Part number 35100-KR3-672. Can’t find one online. Ordered what was supposed to work for my bike from eBay only to have it not work.

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
If it physically mounts (bolts down) properly betcha we can get what you have to work by figuring the switch pin out..
Only need 4 wires, though you will loose the Park function...
Third switch position turns on tail light while grounding (disabling) CDI allowing removal of key...
In Off position key switch connects IG (Black/White) to E (Green) circuit grounding (disabling) CDI also allowing key removal..
In On position key switch disconnects IG and E circuits while connecting Bat1 (Red) to Bat 2 (Black)

Wire harness Brown/White and Brown circuit is permanently jumped...
this arrangement allows the use of 4 wire ignition switch..
Loss of Parking/Tail lamp illumination with this set up...

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel CMX250C
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it physically mounts (bolts down) properly betcha we can get what you have to work by figuring the switch pin out..
Only need 4 wires, though you will loose the Park function...
Third switch position turns on tail light while grounding (disabling) CDI allowing removal of key...
In Off position key switch connects IG (Black/White) to E (Green) circuit grounding (disabling) CDI also allowing key removal..
In On position key switch disconnects IG and E circuits while connecting Bat1 (Red) to Bat 2 (Black)

View attachment 109730
Wire harness Brown/White and Brown circuit is permanently jumped...
this arrangement allows the use of 4 wire ignition switch..
Loss of Parking/Tail lamp illumination with this set up...

View attachment 109729
The one I purchased from eBay is a six wire (three wires and a 3 wire harness) just like the OEM switch. Only reason I’m replacing it is because the plastic housing cracked and broke. All the wire colors on the eBay POS switch are the exact same as the OEM switch. I’m certain I wired it correctly, but when I turn the key nothing comes on.

ill have to play around with the wires after reading these wiring diagrams. I’ll get back to you.

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
personally wouldn't trust aftermarket wire color code..
check pin out cross connections per 1st image I posted using ohm meter..
fully disconnect switch before checking ohms as connecting to a live circuit could damage meter when using ohms range

this image out of 85-87 Rebel oem shop manual may help as well

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel CMX250C
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
personally wouldn't trust aftermarket wire color code..
check pin out cross connections per 1st image I posted using ohm meter..
fully disconnect switch before checking ohms as connecting to a live circuit could damage meter when using ohms range

this image out of 85-87 Rebel oem shop manual may help as well

View attachment 109735
I don’t completely understand how I’m supposed to test it.

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
1st check you haven't blown main fuse... using volt meter between red Bat wire and ground assure you have 12volts at the bullet connector.. If you have voltage disconnect all wires to switch..
set meter to ohms
Connect meter test lead to one wire use second test lead to probe and locate switch internal connection for each switch position

Self powered continuity tester will work if you don't have an ohm meter..

you're trying to find which two wires are interconnected with each switch position.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel CMX250C
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st check you haven't blown main fuse... using volt meter between red Bat wire and ground assure you have 12volts at the bullet connector.. If you have voltage disconnect all wires to switch..
set meter to ohms
Connect meter test lead to one wire use second test lead to probe and locate switch internal connection for each switch position

Self powered continuity tester will work if you don't have an ohm meter..

you're trying to find which two wires are interconnected with each switch position.

View attachment 109754

Got it figured out. Thank you!

You seem to know far more about electrical stuff that I do, so let me hit you with this question:

I found this schematic on this forum, and am wondering, what can I cut out of the front junction box? I only need the headlight, tail/brakelight, blinkers, and starter on this bike. There is no speedometer so no need for neutral or blinker indicator light wiring. What can I safely cut out of the front junction box so save room? I figured out that my ignition switch problem is related to the mess of wires I was trying to stuff back in there.

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
That's easy I've stripped down schematics for all versions of the rebel

There is a published error in the schematic you posted..
Kill/Stop switch internal connection is Wrong as published,, corrected in this image showing all lighting removed... designed to get engine running w/charge system for those bobbing their ride.. Neutral light can be removed as well as wiring circled without problem..

The CMX450 and 2nd gen stripped down wiring schematic can be found

There is also a much better 1st gen 85-87 diagram from Honda shop manual there as well..
I will take another look at adding head and tail light back.. In that case

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
reference is 85-87_wiring-diag-color.png on CMX250C google drive
Red XXX marks wire removal
Starting at bottom 4Pin connector all you need is Green/Red clutch switch, eliminating signal and horn

We have gone over ignition switch already, one could jump Brown/White to Brown..
Brown/White is powered at all times key switch interconnects Red Bat1 to Black Bat2,
it needs to interconnect to Brown Circuit for tail light..

Remove the 3 male Orange circuits 2 of which go to front signal and dash indicator lamp 3rd goes to rear left signals...
I'd leave the female there..
remove Blue wire to high beam indicator as well as Brown/White speedo lamp lead..
Than there are two grounds that go to L&R signals you won't need..
LtGreen/Red and Black leads to Neutral indicator.. That Black could than be used as an aux 12v source..
Next up is the Ground for High beam and speedo illumination lamp..

Oops forgot three LightBlue right signal connectors that can be removed..
other connectors leave as is..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found this schematic on this forum, and am wondering, what can I cut out of the front junction box? What can I safely cut out of the front junction box so save room?
This is from the 1985 Official Shop Manual showing how tidy to make the connection box. I've managed to arrange it so the cover actually closes fairly easy. But is not as neat as the following. Did not arrive from the dealer like this when i bought it back in 1985. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have an ignition switch for an 86 CMX250C? Part number 35100-KR3-672. Can’t find one online. Ordered what was supposed to work for my bike from eBay only to have it not work.
My 2006 push button burnt out, just spliced a push button in there (green and ylw/blk i think). You have to put on a new control set on the handle bar if it must match up

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
My 2006 push button burnt out, just spliced a push button in there (green and ylw/blk i think). You have to put on a new control set on the handle bar if it must match up
FYI The push button provides Two functions..
When Free it supplies power to the head lamp switch from the headlamp fuse..
Pushed it supplies power to Starter relay, at the same time disconnecting headlight thus more power provided to starter during cranking...

2nd gen 96-2016 diagram

1st gen 85-87 starter switch works the same way as do a great many other bikes

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can help with an OEM switch. Would you want the fork lock and helmet holder. They all share the same key.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Rebel CMX250C
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should have updated this. I did get the eBay POS ignition working. Thank you all for your help! You guys are awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts