Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my ignition switch. Somebody broke the original switch on my 2000 Rebel and I ordered a replacement switch from ebay. The problem is that my old switch only has four wires and the new switch has 6 wires. From what I can tell, my new switch is for older Honda Rebels. Three wires can be easily connected - a black one, a red one, and a black/white one.

I have a plug on the new switch with a green wire, brown/white wire, and a brown wire and a green wire on my bike.

Can I somehow make this new switch work with my bike? Hopefully, by just connecting the green wires?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Yes, as the green is the grounding. The brown and brown with white trace are for the Park position the older switch will have.

If you don't want parking lights, no need to hook those up.

If you want the park position, the brown is tail light circuit an brown with white is for the speedometer backlight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

So if I am understanding you correctly, if I just hook up the four wires, I won't have a light for my speedometer? Can I hook that up somehow?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
No no, if you just hook up the four wires all will be well.
Your second gen Rebel had an ignition switch with an "Off' and an "On " position.
On the first gen switch those will function just as they always have.
Its the easiest solution. It just means that the switch will be "Off", "On", "Off".

On the First gen, the switch is "Off" , "On" and "P". The P is parking light and those extra two did that. Well, sort of. It would be a pain to rig the parking light position to work on your Second gen Rebel but if you really wanted to, you could.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buickguy, thanks for your help. The Rebel is back up and running with the new switch. I really appreciate your assistance!

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Glad to hear you got it up and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts