Honda Rebel Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's news to me Shack. The "tripod stop" is taught in Canada as the "ready to ride" position, in which you have complete control of the bike using all 4 appendages to do one thing only. It is also the most economical in terms of motion required for both stopping and starting away, requiring only one foot to come down. It also encourages precision and consistency in both stopping and starting which can be a big help (confidence booster) on a hill start for example.
Yup, same in Colorado.... ready to ride, and I find having my right foot on the brake is priceless on grades, plus it is actually easier to start off than having two swinging pendulum legs changing the balance... it permits a more smooth, straighter start in my opinion. Ready to ride, and you cant do an embarrassing duck walk with a foot on the peg, plus it teaches us to accelerate and go (or tip over!), which is appreciated by cagers waiting their turn.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks to all who shared constructive thoughts on how and when to lower the left foot when riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep my eyes ahead on the horizon, square the bike, and stop and place both feet down. I've dropped bikes too many times to not do it right. MSF taught me this. Before that I THOUGHT I knew how to ride, huh, huh.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
You must have taken a different MSF course. MSF teaches the "ready position", left foot down, right foot on brake, bike in first gear and facing in your predetermined "exit" direction, left hand pulling clutch, right hand on throttle, eyes checking for approaching motorists from behind that may not stop in time. Helps keep riders from becoming the meat in a "bumper sandwich".

101 - 105 of 105 Posts