Honda Rebel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Every time I stop its with my left foot down. I didn't know anything about safe start and stop until I read about left foot down. Ive got less than a thousand miles of experience riding but this was my first lesson learned.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was taught left foot down and I stop that way everytime. Could be my age however, but after a long ride with many stops I have a very sore knee. Sometimes takes a couple of days to feel better.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
What if you have 2 left feet?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Oh,now I see it. She's on a bike.:whistling::angel:

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I wouldn't recommend riding like that with anything less than a full face helmet and DOT approved sport bra & booty shorts.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
MSF will teach it..
I'm going to have to look up some of the discussions over at BeginnerBikers.org now. I know it's been mentioned by more than one rider coach there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Any ideas how to remember to turn off the turnsignal? I'm so worried about shifting, etc. that I find I'm riding around with the signal on.
Thankfully, I have an old car that the turn signal doesn't shut off automatically so I have that muscle memory already.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I'm going to have to look up some of the discussions over at BeginnerBikers.org now. I know it's been mentioned by more than one rider coach there.
From what I gleaned via the rider coaches that responded, the basic drill is both feet are placed initially and eventually it progresses to a left foot down first/optional keep the right on the peg. So it isn't an exclusive "tripod or fail" affair.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
From what I gleaned via the rider coaches that responded, the basic drill is both feet are placed initially and eventually it progresses to a left foot down first/optional keep the right on the peg. So it isn't an exclusive "tripod or fail" affair.
Shack, the exception is when carrying a passenger. Then it's more convenient/safer to put both feet down simply because passengers squirm around, and you don't have any control over their small movements that will upset near perfect balance and have you doing a little dance to stay upright. Otherwise the normal stopped position should be with the rear brake set, bike in first and ready to go. As to failing someone over that, it's not part of the test, but it's taught and expected during the course.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Everyone who has taken BRC knows that the "ready to ride" position is defined as stopped on the motorcycle in the riding position with the right foot on the brake pedal and the left foot down holding up the bike. This allows for holding the bike with the rear brake while stopped.
Lots of people have difficulty trying to stop with the left foot down every time. It seems that as the speed bleeds off, it becomes more of a random chance as to which foot is going to have to go down to hold the bike up.
An easy solution is to start a normal left turn, just as the bike is stopping. This is guaranteed to put the bike over to the left side .
When I learned to ride, way back in the 80's, it was both feet down, solid. And I admit to some duck-walking myself, especially when I am in heavy traffic.

Just for fits and giggles, I went out on GQ today in traffic and used only my left foot for support when I came to stops. I have to admit I was a bit shaky, as my left leg is not my strongest due to an accident and near amputation when I was a kid (not motorcycle related, rattlesnake bite....I am on the high plains of TX here :eek2:). I wasn't as balanced as I wanted to be and my right side is my strongest. Although I am going to try and practice more and use this method more, I am probably going to be two-footing it on the windy days. :D

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
devyn if you think about it.. at any given time, you only need one foot or the other down.. the bike can only lean to one side at a time. When you put both feet down, you are basically saying you have no idea which way the thing is going to lean when you stop.
If you deliberately plan to bring the left side down, it adds consistency to your riding, and minimizes the effort involved in stopping. You never take your foot off the rear brake until you move off again . You know your left foot will be holding the bike every time, so it becomes a reflex to drop it gently and take the little bit of weight you plan to put on it at the stop. Anything you can do to make your riding consistent and disciplined makes you a better rider IMO. You just look like you know what you're doing, and you do it smoothly and easily.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
So, funny story. In DE you have 30 days to register a vehicle after purchase. I purchased my rebel the day I went in for ACL replacement surgery in my right knee (I was actually 30 late for my apt because of it).

I am a bike NEWB and have never ridden before. I purchased my rebel as a graduation present to myself for getting my MBA and plan on using it as a learner bike. However, my leg has been in an immobilizer and now a brace so although I have been working on the bike and reading up on this forum I did not ride it yet.

Yesterday was three weeks after my surgery and I needed to register my bike before the month expired. Plus, I wanted to get the title in my name sooner rather than later to make sure everything was kosher (eBay purchase). I pull into the DE inspection station in my SUV pulling my handy motorcycle trailer. Inspection guy looks at me like I'm crazy and tells me I need to ride it through. Hmmm, my wife would kill me as I have never ridden before, I'm in slacks and a tie, my right leg is in a brace, and my helmet is at home.

Thankfully, from reading this thread, I knew that I could ride as only my left leg should be going down... Long story short, it was not pretty but I did not re-tear my ACL or anything else for that matter and my bike is now registered--all thanks to the "left foot down" thread.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Wow.. I'm pretty sure I would not have recommended a brand new rider trying this for the first time with an unstable right knee, but I'm glad things worked out for you OK.
Please get yourself signed up for a training course as soon as you can.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
you would think they coulda helped a fella out with a bad leg, damn beuarucrats

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
No, you would think DMV would not force someone without a license to break the law further by riding a vehicle that hasn't been registered yet...

61 - 80 of 105 Posts