Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make my bike more visble (day or night) from the rear. I just don't think the running brake light is bright enough and the reflectors are quite small.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
let me count the ways
flashing 1157 LED brake light bulbs
add on LED light bars
LED License Plate frames
or for more $ you can have turn signals integrated.
than there are Flexible LED lighting strips from many manufacturers

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
A flashing LED brake/running light is an attention getter, and I have one on my Rebel. Several Rebel riders at the Lake Hope rally asked about it. It's an 1157 bulb. Syneticusa 1157 LED Strobe Flash Red Bright Brake Tail Stop Light Parking Bulbs | eBay

If you have a top case, you can add additional lighting and/or reflective tape to it. 3M makes adhesive tape in a variety of colors: 3M adhesive reflective tape | eBay

While it's strictly for night time visibility, 3M makes reflective tape in a variety of colors, including black (yes, black). I put the black on the frame and fenders of my black bike and it's virtually invisible in daylight, but it really lights up at night. If you have saddlebags, you can use them to increase visibility. black reflective tape for motorcycles at DuckDuckGo

Finally, wearing high visibility riding gear also helps. White helmets and jackets are easily seen, day or night, and blaze orange and chartreuse are also excellent.

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
there is something counter intuitive about Black Reflective Tape

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
that is pretty neat - good to know about

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
The colored reflective pinstripe streetglo sells is interesting too..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SoakedKarma, I really like this LED License Plate and it seems it does running light, brake light, Left and Right turn signals as well.
Do you have this? If so, is it easy to install?

A flashing LED brake/running light is an attention getter, and I have one on my Rebel. Several Rebel riders at the Lake Hope rally asked about it. It's an 1157 bulb. Syneticusa 1157 LED Strobe Flash Red Bright Brake Tail Stop Light Parking Bulbs | eBay
I am not sure I understand were do these bulbs go? Is one for the running light and the other for the brake light, and are just way brighter?
If this was really well liked, then are there bulbs for the turn signals? I seem to think people just dont see my signals as they were on but clearly didnt see mine.

Oh, I agree on the lighter color helmet and jacket but newbie me bought black. I have the SS2200 helmet and a Bilt mesh jacket, both black and my motorcycle is black :(

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
There is only one 1157 bulb in the tail light. It has two filaments, one that is on constantly (running light) and a second that only comes on when the brake is applied, making the light brighter. LEDs are generally much brighter than standard bulbs. LED bulbs are also available for the turn signals, which use a different, single filament bulb, but unless you have some of those tiny aftermarket turn signals, I don't see LED turn signals adding that much to conspicuity. Always purchase LED bulbs that are the same color as the lens in the light (red, yellow, etc.). They give off better light than a white bulb.

I began with black gear. Once I purchased white gear, and realized how hot and visually "invisible" black was in comparison, I never wore black again. Yes, it was an expensive learning experience, but one that wound up making me more comfortable and visible.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
No I haven't installed the lighted license plate holder
The issue I foresee is removal of existing license plate light as it would be in way,,
or drilling holes lower in Honda mounting plate so top clears existing light housing..
tapping into wiring at junction box seems easy enough to me, others may find it more difficult.

with junction box cover removed from bottom, you can see wiring location (yellow) in relationship to license plate (red).
PITA to work on the wiring due to tight quarters as long as rear wheel is installed..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I haven't installed the lighted license plate holder
The issue I foresee is removal of existing license plate light as it would be in way,,
or drilling holes lower in Honda mounting plate so top clears existing light housing..
tapping into wiring at junction box seems easy enough to me, others may find it more difficult.

View attachment 110585

with junction box cover removed from bottom, you can see wiring location (yellow) in relationship to license plate (red).
PITA to work on the wiring due to tight quarters as long as rear wheel is installed..

View attachment 110587

Ugh, I am not sure I want to go through all that. I am liking those bulbs more and more that flitecontrol referenced.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
I should mention that a lot of my gear was purchased inexpensively from shopgoodwill.com. They have lightly used gear as well as some brand new stuff, all donated. Here's a link: Listings - shopgoodwill.com

Disclaimer: I do not recommend buying used helmets as you don't know their history. If you see a new one listed, ask them to look for a date of manufacture tag inside the helmet lining for you. After 8-10 years, even new helmet lining/pads can deteriorate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As much as I like those bulbs, I cant help but think how annoying those would be for the driver/rider behind me who is behind me for a while (at each stop or stop and go, that bulb HAS to be irritating!)

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
I pump my brakes at almost every stop I make just to alert motorists behind me..
with cell phones providing added distraction to drivers, strobing brake light makes more sense than ever..

Reactions: kezug

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pump my brakes at almost every stop I make just to alert motorists behind me..
with cell phones providing added distraction to drivers, strobing brake light makes more sense than ever..
I feel like my profile on the bike must be so narrow that people cant see my turn signal. Twice this past weekend, people turned in front of me where I had to slow down and let them pass before I committed forward to my path. Its frustrating. It didn't seem like they were looking down at their cell phone either, its almost as if they just don't see me. I believe they are focusing on the bigger vehicles behind me and I am overlooked. This is also part my fault for wearing too much black.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
There's a maneuver you can make that increases visibility to vehicles, especially those in front of you. Crash Course - The SMIDSY - YouTube

At night, a motorcycle headlight can be easily confused with the lights of a following vehicle further behind it. A driver, not recognizing the rider, is apt to turn in front of the motorcyclist. The SMIDSY helps in this situation too.

Motorcyclists are always going to be less visible than cages, and most cagers don't anticipate seeing a motorcyclist because there are so few on the road compared to cages. Accepting this, and riding defensively with the anticipation that someone may turn in front of you, merge into your lane, etc., makes for a safer rider.

Years ago, I bought a couple of LED 1157 bulbs from ebay for my dual bulb taillight on the VN750. The lights rotated until the brake was applied and then they strobed/flashed. Those really increased visibility to the rear! Unfortunately, it appears they are no longer sold on ebay.

Since your initial question was about rear visibility, I didn't mention modulating headlights, but they dramatically increase the chances that a motorcyclist will be seen by approaching vehicles. I ordered these as accessory lights, but discovered by accident that the ones I received modulate. 2x Motorcycle Bike 6 LED Headlight Spot Fog Lights Head Front Lamp W/ Switch | eBay Mine didn't come with a switch, and I just added Y connectors to the headlight circuit in the front junction box. If you order these, be aware that they may or may not modulate. the modulating has to be turned off when it's dark. To modulate mine, I have to start the bike and then turn the key off and on twice.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
couple of ole boys down the hill from me put this little video together regarding modulating headlamps..

·
Banned
1985 Honda Rebel CMX250C
4 Posts
Thank you for this post, as I have always thought the EXACT SAME THING! I don't think there is enough light for others to see me at night, BOTH in the front AND rear! (My headlight seems really dim too) I have been hit and run over by several cars in the course of my life, as people just DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO MOTORCYCLES! (Yes, I do have plates and pins in bones, gravel imbedded in my skin, and several scars)
So, I would like to weigh-in here... With a few thoughts:

IDK how the laws are wherever you are, (you might want to check) but here in NY, the cops seem to love busting our balls for what they refer to as "unauthorized lighting" on your bike. This is a ticket referring mainly to any LED strip-lighting, or any LED lighting not originally added by the manufacturer, and any other LED or flashing lights around the license plate.

Although I did get a ticket, IDC what the police say, I'm adding extra lighting! (I have a few ideas I'll post at another time.) People can't see me on the road during the day as it is, I WANT TO BE SEEN, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT!!! However, just to be sneaky about it, I'm going to add a switch so I can turn off the extra lighting at the first sign of our wonderful boys in blue!

Also, as a holder of a CDL-A (Commercial Drivers Licence), I can tell you that DOT loves the alternating red/white, or any reflective tape, and it might not be a bad idea to add it, as I'm pretty sure you could completely cover the bike in reflective tape without violating any laws! (However, that would make a hell of a strange looking bike!)

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
The sealed beam headlight on the first generation Rebels is very weak. One solution is to replace it with a bucket that takes an h4 bulb and then use an LED h4 in it. Jack sells the h4 bucket. honda rebel part headlight | Jack's Motorcycle Shop (rebelcatalog.com)
Several forum members (myself included) have used this LED and like the increased illumination it provides. BEAMTECH H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs High Low Beam Conversion Kit 50W 8000lm/Set | eBay You will need to remove the rubber boot in the headlight to use this bulb.

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
28 Posts
I have a solution that works well for me. Pro Strobe of Canada (Marklyn/Alpena) 'Side markers'. They came in White, Amber, & Red (part #s 70753 White, 70754 Amber, not sure for the red). They have 2 functions, on or strobe. I've connected a white one to the front of my 85 Rebel to strobe when the horn is pushed. Red Strobe on rear with a relay for 5sec. flash then solid when brakes are applied. Amber on front & rear for hazzard lights. But on solid in front for 'Fog lights'. When my headlight fuse blew on the highway I was glad to be able to turn these on until I could get to the next exit. These are bright & highly visible. I added a metal extension under the license plate in the back for 1 Red & 2 Amber, & a plate on front below headlight for the White & Amber. Hope this helps. Cost for each light around $25 US. Expensive but, my life is worth it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts