Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I took my rebel out for a 2 hour, casual 50 mile ride through the back roads. I love everything about the rebel, the ease of the ride! However, there are a couple of minor issues. The engine whine hurts my ears, so I wear ear plugs with my full face helmet. Not the worst thing. But on my neighbors Vulcan 500, the ride doesnt hurt my ears and i dont need to wear ear plugs. I also feel the bike is physically a tad small, not much but it is.

So, in reality, I think my "want" is a bike very similar to the rebel but a little bigger and without that engine whine.

What bike would that be?

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
450 Rebel. And it has 6 speeds!

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
As for the whine on the 250, you can change the front drive sprocket from a 14t to a 15 t and it helps a lot with the noise without really reducing the power. And it gives a little bit more height to each gear. It's cheap, fast & easy to do. JT 15t Sprocket Amazon $13.02, eBay $9.42

·
Administrator
4,920 Posts
I took my rebel out for a 2 hour, casual 50 mile ride through the back roads. I love everything about the rebel, the ease of the ride! However, there are a couple of minor issues. The engine whine hurts my ears, so I wear ear plugs with my full face helmet. Not the worst thing. But on my neighbors Vulcan 500, the ride doesnt hurt my ears and i dont need to wear ear plugs. I also feel the bike is physically a tad small, not much but it is.

So, in reality, I think my "want" is a bike very similar to the rebel but a little bigger and without that engine whine.

What bike would that be?
Rebel 500. I had a Rebel 450 and it was great but they haven't been making them for 34 years so they are getting hard to find. The Rebel 500 has a more traditional riding posture than the 250 and Shadow 600. The Shadow 750 and Rebel 500 have the same posture but the 750 is much heavier.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Rebel 500. I had a Rebel 450 and it was great but they haven't been making them for 34 years so they are getting hard to find. The Rebel 500 has a more traditional riding posture than the 250 and Shadow 600. The Shadow 750 and Rebel 500 have the same posture but the 750 is much heavier.
I, personally am just not a fan (yet?) of Honda's Rebel 3.0 line. They look like street fighters which are cool, but I think they should have been marketed as such, myself. In my eyes, they are not really Honda Rebels. I had always envisioned the new line of Rebel's following the traditional 1st/2nd gen Rebel styling in a 500, 750, and 1100, but they didn't call me. :ROFLMAO:

The 450 fits me well and is all I really need, I like the vintage aspects of it as well, including the 'chase' for parts.

Please consider me totally biased toward 450's! :D

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I agree completely with ChicagometriX.
I don't like either the look or that the Gen 3 is "called" a Rebel.
I too prefer the tried & TRUE form of the original design.

·
Administrator
4,920 Posts
Have to agree, it is a different bike. I like the fuel injection and water cooling. The fat front tire makes it harder to steer at low speeds. To each his own.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.