Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 86 Rebel 250. I couldnt pass it up for only $150. I had a bunch of extra parts from other bikes I had and figured I could make something cool. I always wanted a flat track style and figured it would be fun to make that from my newly aquired Rebel. The bike was in horrible shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It needed to be completely gone through. The tank was a pile of rust. Carb dirty. Wiring shot ect. It didnt matter i was gonna totaly re do it all. I bought a CG125 tank and fabbed some mounts. To get the tail and tank to sit right i had to make a new subframe. I also relocated the top shock mount to make them sit more stright. Topped that off with 12" piggy back shocks

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the frontend I used a CBR600 F2 frontend. The wheels are also off an F2. To make that work. I had to press out the stem from the Rebel. Then cut the stemm off of the F2. I then pressed the Rebel into the cut F2 stem and welded it all back together. The steering stops also had to be modified to make it work correctly. Now I had a nice 41mm adjustable fork frontend to match the upgraded rear suspension. I painted the wheels while I had them off too

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now time for the exhaust. I wanted a 2 into 1 but as everyone knows there is one on the market. I ordered a 2-1 collector and cut the stock headers till I got the correct angles. That ment chopping the crossover pipe and welding it closed. I then used a Vance and Hines CRF450 mid pipe and muffler I had and heat wrapped the headers to top it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used CBR adjustable rearsets for the footpegs. I wanted that flat track style so I went with number plates and cut out the front for the head light. I also used protaper bars. Now for the paintwork. At first I thought of the onld school red white and blue like the 86 bubba shobert RS750. I changed plans though and ended with Black and Gold. I painted it layed the custom graphics I had made and cleared over them all.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finished the brackets for the side number plates and mounted them. Of course I went with number 250. Now I have everything in the places they are susposed to be I have to make a mount for the battery and I will be ready to tear it all back apart finish welding the tach welds. Paint the frame and reassemble.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
That looks like a fun ride. I've been doing something similar with a 250 Nighthawk for a while now, it's been a slow moving project but mine will be more of a backroad fun machine than a looker.

Honestly for the tracker look I like the Rebel frame much more than the NH frame which has no cradle under the engine at all. Are you planning a skid plate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not thought of a skid plate as the exhaust may be in the way. I do plan on running fork gators though. Make sure you post your NH when your done I would like to see it too

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Hayes,

You made a very, very nice bike buddy ! ! I love the black and gold. Old school, the best school.

I made a Rebel 450 with a CBR front end rear. The front bolts right in. It has the same dimensions as the 450.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. I was wanting to make a 2-1 high pipe like you have started but it was easier to use my og headers then to modify other ones like a dirtbike. It sounds nice not to loud to make the neighbors mad but you can still hear it comming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great looking bike. Really a nice touch with the headlight!!

This is one of the reasons I joined this community, to observe nice projects like yours so thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you ice. I am glad you like it. The front end is off a 91 cbr600 f2. Same with the wheels.I explained earlier in the thread what I had to do to make it work on the 250.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts