Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought the bike about 2 months ago 1996 cmx 250, and it had a bad wiring job for the kickstand switch initially. I bought the bike knowing it had no spark i figured i can fix it and i did, But i tried starting the bike tonight on a hill in first gear with clutch in, the bike sounded like it wanted to start for a second then i heard a pop that came from the bike(wasnt sure if the pop came from the solenoid or the wire cluster above by the headlight). And i put it in neutral to try it again and it did the same thing again. After that the bike wouldnt even read the key, then a few moment later i got power back to the dash and tried starting it again and i heard the pop again and then it completely died for good it seems like. I checked the battery and it read 12.5 volts
i checked the fuses including the 20 amp in the main. People say if you hear a pop its most likely the starter relay, if so how do i test it with a mutlimeter? Could it possibly be a problem within the ignition? or the starter button? how do i test these?
And when i was trying to resolve the problem about an hour later the bikes power would cut on and off when i had the key on.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
408 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a corroded fuse holder. However, I didn't hear Any pop.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
408 Posts
Intermittently I'd loose power. I did the same thing. Checked fuses, voltage, etc. Then I read on the forum about corrosion on the fuses & power Problem resolved

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,107 Posts
2nd generation 96-2016 Rebel uses blade fuses unlike our 1st gen Rebel glass tube fuses @Emil, which are far more likely to have corrosion at contact points..

Low voltage can cause the starter relay to click, Never heard of it popping though..
@chris jordan I assume you are hearing an electrical snap,, I'd check the main battery cables where they connect to starter relay as well as the battery connection to starter.. those are the most likely places to create a pop sound..

be sure to use thin wrench to hold lower nut of starter connection while loosening or tightening starter cable..
If you don't the stud is likely to turn ripping loose internal wires connected to it..

surprised you can't get it to push start.. the ignition system is isolated from battery as it's only function is to power lighting and crank starter.. Rebel will start and run without a battery installed, though it is hard on the voltage regulator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2nd generation 96-2016 Rebel uses blade fuses unlike our 1st gen Rebel glass tube fuses @Emil, which are far more likely to have corrosion at contact points..

Low voltage can cause the starter relay to click, Never heard of it popping though..
@chris jordan I assume you are hearing an electrical snap,, I'd check the main battery cables where they connect to starter relay as well as the battery connection to starter.. those are the most likely places to create a pop sound..

be sure to use thin wrench to hold lower nut of starter connection while loosening or tightening starter cable..
If you don't the stud is likely to turn ripping loose internal wires connected to it..

View attachment 110862

surprised you can't get it to push start.. the ignition system is isolated from battery as it's only function is to power lighting and crank starter.. Rebel will start and run without a battery installed, though it is hard on the voltage regulator
so i checked the battery and i already took off the positive and negative connections off of the relay and sanded them down a bit and cleaned the up. Still nothing. I havent tried push starting it yet. But i will give it a go. is there anything that may have went bad in the electric box by the headlight thats causing me to get no electric?
And i tested the main fuse with a test light and it lit up on 2 out of the four connections. Im not good with wiring or electrical work so i dont know what kind of reading i am supposed to get

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

View attachment 110862

And would a bad starter connection cause the bike to not have any power at all?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,107 Posts
yes,, a bad main cable connection at battery side of starter relay or positive battery terminal would cause No power
Or poor connection of Negative cable where it connects to frame or neg battery terminal..

You should also find a main harness ground (green circuit) screwed into frame under gas tank above and slightly aft of voltage regulator.. failure of this connection may cause lack power to most if not all electrical circuits..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes,, a bad main cable connection at battery side of starter relay or positive battery terminal would cause No power
Or poor connection of Negative cable where it connects to frame or neg battery terminal..

You should also find a main harness ground (green circuit) screwed into frame under gas tank above and slightly aft of voltage regulator.. failure of this connection may cause lack power to most if not all electrical circuits..

View attachment 110863
so i got the bike going with a booster pack, and lights flicker when i give it gas. Bike will not start up on its own still, i inspected the battery further and found acid leaking out. Think i found my problem i will return back when i put new battery in to confirm the resolution. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
It's easier to push start it if the bike is in third gear. In first, it tends to just skid the tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Intermittently I'd loose power. I did the same thing. Checked fuses, voltage, etc. Then I read on the forum about corrosion on the fuses & power Problem resolved
It was the battery, hopefully this is helpful to someone else who has the same symptoms. My old battery read 12.5 volts but it was still bad. i knew it was the battery because i jumped the bike with a booster pack, and the bike would stay running but with flickering headlights, dash lights etc. So its always worth keeing an extra battery around. Thanks guys

·
Registered
408 Posts
Most people don't have a load tester anymore. That'd been the next step, but you found it. Good jod.

Reactions: chris jordan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts