Honda Rebel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

This is the actuator, when I pull the lever that the clutch cable would pull, it comes out and goes back down on it's own in this position. When I turn it sideways like it would sit on the bike. The knob comes out, but only goes part of the way back on it's own. Could this be my issue? Or is that normal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
could you have installed the Judder Spring backwards?
It needs to angle in towards center hub

I installed a brand new clutch that was already built, I just had to bolt it in. It acts the same as the old one, but I'm gonna be honest with you. I have no idea if the bike moved freely in gear with the old clutch. I never knew to try it :/
My thoughts are still on the wiring by the clutch sensor switch. If you only pull the clutch staying in the same gear, does it try to die?
When the wiring broke by the switch, was it only 1 wire, or more? If the green w/red tracer was connected to wrong circuit, I'm thinking that some strange things could happen.
Do you mean that every time that you shift the engine STARTS to die, or looses power, then on releasing the clutch it picks back up?
But....It's early in the morning, my brain might not be working yet.
Both wires to the clutch switch broke right where they meet the clutch handle. I resoldered them onto the metal plates and plugged them in. I'm not sure if I plugged them in the right way though. I tried switching them, same issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
do you remember seeing part #13 - a rod with rounded ends

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
Interesting,, there is a difference between 1985-87 and newer Rebel clutch assemblies..

Diagram 1 indicates assembly as found on 1996 and newer rebels.. See:

Diagram 2 which states Except Rebel 250 is same exploded view found on parts suppliers web page for 85-87 Rebel.

Image was pulled from Clymer Honda Twinstar, Rebel 250, & Nighthawk 250 1978 -2003 service manual...

PO may not have known differences while working on bike..

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
I bought a whole preassembled clutch from u.s. stock for about $26. I pulled the old clutch out, and this one slid right in easy as you please. Took me less than an hour to do the whole job Includingthe oil drain & refill. Nothing to align or stack.
Seems to work just fine.
Has anyone else tried these?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not sure what to do anymore. Tried both clutches, new and old, they both respond the same way. I learned the actuator plug is fine how it sits.... I cleaned the carb out, the bike is idling at 1400 like it should and the the throttle is extremely crisp. All the electronics work.... I dont know what to do :/

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
I'm wondering just how tight the clutch cable is with the higher bars?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm wondering just how tight the clutch cable is with the higher bars?
I can send a pic tomorrow, the cable has no slack in it. But just yo make sure it wasnt the cable, I pulled in the actuator lever with my hand while shifting. Same issue :/ I also did the same thing and tried rolling the bike while off and in gear. Still stays stuck.... it only tolls a few inches in either direction before it locks up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Interesting,, there is a difference between 1985-87 and newer Rebel clutch assemblies..

Diagram 2 which states Except Rebel 250 is same exploded view found on parts suppliers web page for 85-87 Rebel.

View attachment 110800

Image was pulled from Clymer Honda Twinstar, Rebel 250, & Nighthawk 250 1978 -2003 service manual...

This is exactly what my clutch set up looks like now, and i think what it looked like when I got the bike. I looked everywhere for a pin on both clutches, and around the area I've been working in... theres nothing. I don't think there ever was one, but I'm not sure anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

View attachment 110800

Heres an actual picture of the set up

·
Registered
302 Posts
If the cable has no slack in it, that that could be a major part of the problem. Especially if you are to turn. There needs to be enough slack in the cable for it to work properly.
When you pull the actuator by hand, you may not be able to have enough power to get it the same point you would with the clutch lever.
Turn the handelbars all the way ro the right. This should give a little slack. While in 1st or 2nd gear pull the clutch lever & try to push the bike in a circle. Is it still locked up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It still remains stuck in gear :/ Its possible I'm missing a piece that someone else pointed out, but I'm not sure. Is there any way you could explain what happens in the disk when clutch is engaged vs disengaged?

·
Registered
302 Posts
01-7700 had this pic & question "do you remember seeing part #13 - a rod with rounded ends"
I once found this in my drain pan when I had replaced my clutch. I had to take it back apart to put it back in. That pin is what the clutch actuator presses to disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does this help? It is the lifter rod.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just noticed the pic of your clutch lever assy. I think it is different than my 85.

·
Registered
302 Posts
16266013692158743342725665347113.jpg 16266013910472405622269519856130.jpg I just took mine apart to show you how it looks.
P.S. I needed to change the oil anyway. I have never found anything on my 'filter' screen, even after I'd replaced the clutch.

Reactions: 01-7700

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
21 - 40 of 59 Posts