Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 honda rebel with a little over 5k miles on it. I broke the clutch cable on it, and ended up breaking the wires that go into the clutch handle. I resoldered the cables back in, and fixed the cable but now when I shift into any gear the bike stalls (it doesnt shut off). I took the clutch out, put a new one in, checked the lever that actually pushes on the clutch and everything seems fine. I still have the same problem though. What could be wrong?

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Simply stated, It sounds like you need to completely replace the cable. It's not really reparable.They don't cost much.
Also when a motorcycle stalls it means the engine stopped it is no longer running.. What do you mean that it stalls stalls but keeps the engine keeps going?

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
some may think i'm jumping the gun here - but i think it's a dirty carb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Emil the engine does die, I meant the bike doesnt turn off completely. As for the cable, it is a new one, the wire that I soldered is for the clutch safety switch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think it's the carb, I cleaned it a few weeks ago when the bike was running. I cannot seem to figure it out though, so maybe I'll try it

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I'm for dirty carb too!

Inspect your gas tank! It likely has a rusty tank. The rust is usually at the top of the tank. If it's rusty you'll need to clean all the rust out before doing another carb cleaning.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
I just put a filter on my bike so I shouldn't get as much in the carb. . 16264785182964567883780656963502.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
In line with what Guba said, it might be wise to recoat the inside of the tank with the sealant if you find rust in it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna clean it tomorrow and I'll let you guys know. I checked for rust, and the tank is clean! The bike was really well cared for, I bought it with 4k miles. The reason I broke the clutch cable was because I added taller bars. The connections were fine but when i pulled the bars back to where i wanted, the clutch cable and clutch sensor wire snapped. The bike was running perfect before that happened.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My thoughts are still on the wiring by the clutch sensor switch. If you only pull the clutch staying in the same gear, does it try to die?
When the wiring broke by the switch, was it only 1 wire, or more? If the green w/red tracer was connected to wrong circuit, I'm thinking that some strange things could happen.
Do you mean that every time that you shift the engine STARTS to die, or looses power, then on releasing the clutch it picks back up?
But....It's early in the morning, my brain might not be working yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
the clutch sensor only disables the start button if the transmission is in gear and the clutch is out - so if the engine is running, it's not the clutch sensor

try this

engine off
put transmission in gear
pull in clutch
can you roll the bike easily?

if the bike will not roll in gear with the clutch in - the clutch is not disengaging

·
Registered
302 Posts
I did trace the circuit on the wiring diagram. I am wondering if some of the wires may've been pulled, not just on the clutch side, but also the kill switch side. I'm thinking some wires might've been abraded to the point of having exposed wires 'searching' for a path to ground. Specifically the blue w/white tracer.
I'm used to tracing multiple faults that cause 1 or more offbeat problems.
That was the reason why I asked, If you 'only pull the clutch staying in the same gear, does it try to die?'
(I'm using a 85 shop manual, your color may be different. )

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
@Emil the Blue/White circuit wire runs from start button in Right switch assy through triple tree electrical junction box to the Left switch assy supplying headlight switch with power.. It's only purpose is to supply power to headlight switch, if it should short to ground the headlight fuse would blow.
Blue/White circuit as nothing to do with ignition or the way engine runs..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Must've been tracing the wrong wire. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
no Worries @Emil
Start button has 2 functions.. when pushed it energizes the starter relay, at the same time disconnecting headlight circuit to provide full battery power to starter..
There is method in Honda's wiring madness..
HL1 Brown/Red coming from headlight fuse connects to HL2 Blue/White when button Free or not pushed..
When Pushed HL1 & HL2 are disconnected, at the same time ST starter Red/Yellow circuit is connected to BAT2 Black circuit energizing starter relay..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes. The fact that all of the problems started when the Is handlebar was moved is what gets me. Specifically He said it was running fine until he stretched the handlebar wires and cables.
I know coincidences happen all the time ( thus the word co-incidence), but this one is too much of a coincidence for me if it is the carb.
I'm just looking for an alternative possible problem in the wiring. If the problem follows the clutch being pulled, (not changing gears), then that would seem to point at electrical issue rather than a physical issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The carb isnt the issue :/ I'm rethinking that it could be the clutch though.... When the bike is running in neutral I can pull in the clutch no problem. When the bike is shifted into gear, it stalls, BUT when I try and move the bike after it stalls in first, it wont move..... I put a new clutch in, but I'm thinking I did something wrong?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked all the wiring, and it seems ok. Everything on the bike works perfect, every button/light. I just cant get it to stay in gear. I did check the actuator before, but I think it might not be working right. When the clutch cover is off, the bike moves freely in gear.... When I pull the actuator it seems to move out easily, but doesnt go back in all the way. Is it supposed to on it's own? I'll send a picture in a bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked all the wiring, and it seems ok. Everything on the bike works perfect, every button/light. I just cant get it to stay in gear. I did check the actuator before, but I think it might not be working right. When the clutch cover is off, the bike moves freely in gear.... When I pull the actuator it seems to move out easily, but doesnt go back in all the way. Is it supposed to on it's own? I'll send a picture in a bit.
@Emil

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
could you have installed the Judder Spring backwards?
It needs to angle in towards center hub

1 - 20 of 59 Posts