Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all so my honda 250 has been doing good no real problems. Lately I've noticed when I hit the kill switch there was a delay.
I tried starting it up today and it wouldn't start, thr blinkers were working for a moment.
I charged the battery and checked the fuses both fine. Thr blinkers and tail light also the dash/speedo indicator for neutral dont work now. The headlight is the only thing that seems to work no horn. I'm thinking maybe the fault is with the wiring. Side note I Rhode it thr day before with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
29,673 Posts
You can eliminate the battery as the cause by jumping it from a car battery. Be sure the car engine is off! If it fixes the issues you describe, the battery is bad.

·
Super Moderator
29,673 Posts
That doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the battery. If you don't want to do something that is quick, easy, and free, take the charged battery to some place that will load test it. Many auto supply stores do this for free. I had a bike battery that wouldn't crank the engine and the lights were dim. It showed 12+ volts after charging. Turned out it had about zero amps. It may not be the battery causing your issues, but eliminating it as a possibility is a step in the trouble shooting process.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
All the things that don't work are on 1 fuse. You have a blown fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your battery can hold a load, work your way along from the battery. You said your fuses are good, check 'em again in case something was shorting just enough to leech your battery. Charging it up might've been enough to finally blow a fuse.

Make sure your ignition switch's connections are good. I had a cheap switch replacement's internal connections go bad while riding, caused the bike's electronics to flicker randomly before altogether failing.

Aside from loose wiring, those are really the only things that could cause your primary electronics to fail together. If you're still stumped, use a multimeter to see what's getting a good voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your battery can hold a load, work your way along from the battery. You said your fuses are good, check 'em again in case something was shorting just enough to leech your battery. Charging it up might've been enough to finally blow a fuse.

Make sure your ignition switch's connections are good. I had a cheap switch replacement's internal connections go bad while riding, caused the bike's electronics to flicker randomly before altogether failing.

Aside from loose wiring, those are really the only things that could cause your primary electronics to fail together. If you're still stumped, use a multimeter to see what's getting a good voltage.
Thanks yeah that kinda sounds like what's going on I believe everything on it is oem. But the bike is about 20 years old. I'll try doing what you suggested im still learning how to do these things

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so it ended up being my fuses after replacing them the bike powerd right up. I couldn't tell by looking because they weren't broken. Thanks to everyone who replyed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts