Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Rebel 250, and a purchased side bags with lights. when i connect to the turn signal wiring they will not blink, they only light up and stay lit.
I took Turn Signals off of another bike and connected them and the same thing they only light up but do not blink.

Is there something in Honda`s where only OEM Honda equipment will work?

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
The Rebel comes with a thermal flasher, which requires a certain amount of resistance to activate the flasher. LED lights don't draw enough power to trip a thermal flasher. So if your replacement lights are LEDs, you probably need to switch to an electronic flasher, which will work with LEDs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Rebel comes with a thermal flasher, which requires a certain amount of resistance to activate the flasher. LED lights don't draw enough power to trip a thermal flasher. So if your replacement lights are LEDs, you probably need to switch to an electronic flasher, which will work with LEDs.
Is the electronic flasher something I can just get from a Honda Dealer, or is it something that I need to Frankenstein from another bike?

Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be able to find it at most auto parts shops, definitely for less than at a dealer. Pull it from the bike to compare it and be sure, but I believe the Rebel's is a 3-prong relay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to find it at most auto parts shops, definitely for less than at a dealer. Pull it from the bike to compare it and be sure, but I believe the Rebel's is a 3-prong relay.
Got it thanks.

My local dealer told me to put an inline resistor.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,654 Posts
A resistor requires altering the wiring system slightly. If forum administrators hadn't deleted the tag search function in their latest "upgrade", I could link you to a thread that recommends an electronic flasher that, IIRC, is plug and play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the flasher to my local NAPA
He was able to get me a variable voltage flasher and it works perfectly.

Thanks to all for your assistance

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
27 Posts
I have a 2006 Rebel 250, and a purchased side bags with lights. when i connect to the turn signal wiring they will not blink, they only light up and stay lit.
I took Turn Signals off of another bike and connected them and the same thing they only light up but do not blink.

Is there something in Honda`s where only OEM Honda equipment will work?

Thank you,
I had the same problem, I switched from the bulky blinkers to some round smaller ones. The bulbs they came with lit up but didn't blink. I took the bulb out of the stock blinkers it flashed but the bulb was to big for the lens to screw back on. I even tried a resister and it didn't even work, I ordered these bulbs on Amazon and THEY WORKED! simple product that does axactly what its supposed to that i couldn't find at basic parts stores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem, I switched from the bulky blinkers to some round smaller ones. The bulbs they came with lit up but didn't blink. I took the bulb out of the stock blinkers it flashed but the bulb was to big for the lens to screw back on. I even tried a resister and it didn't even work, I ordered these bulbs on Amazon and THEY WORKED! simple product that does axactly what its supposed to that i couldn't find at basic parts stores.
The new bulbs you got were LED bulbs. I'm guessing the resistor you used wasn't enough of a load to trigger your flasher relay. The Rebel comes stock with filament (halogen) and a heat-triggered flasher relay, which works fine.

One of the first things I did was replace my turn signals with LEDs and an electronic flasher relay. They're objectively better, because halogen bulbs fail much quicker and more often than LEDs. Same story with thermomechanical relays. That being said, our halogen bulbs are dirt cheap and can be found literally anywhere, even Walmart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The variable voltage flasher was only $6.49
Plus was plug and play.

I literally plugged it in and everything works.

Super easy solution to the problem.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
27 Posts
The new bulbs you got were LED bulbs. I'm guessing the resistor you used wasn't enough of a load to trigger your flasher relay. The Rebel comes stock with filament (halogen) and a heat-triggered flasher relay, which works fine.

One of the first things I did was replace my turn signals with LEDs and an electronic flasher relay. They're objectively better, because halogen bulbs fail much quicker and more often than LEDs. Same story with thermomechanical relays. That being said, our halogen bulbs are dirt cheap and can be found literally anywhere, even Walmart.
I tried LEDs before I ordered on Amazon and still couldn't get them to flash, so I was starting to think my relay was messed up but I read all the reviews and people were having same problems and for some reason they don't sell that particular bulb anywhere where. (auto zone, orielleys, Walmart) i ended up finding the size i needed and they worked and they're very bright. The bigger stock bulb worked but lens wouldn't fit so I needed a smaller bulb same output. Since I'm new to working on bikes my pops is always in the shop with me to make sure I'm doing things right. He's an electrician and didnt understand. I'm going to get same blinkers for the front since all I have to do is change the bulb after wiring. So resister and small bulbs blinkers came with didnt work, or the leds bought from auto zone. Amazon has everything

·
Registered
8 Posts
...they don't sell that particular bulb anywhere where... resister and small bulbs blinkers came with didnt work, or the leds bought from auto zone
Do you know what type of bulb and base they were? Some bulbs will have a number code on the metal base. The bulb type doesn't matter as much, so long as it fits in the signal housing. For example, the Rebel's stock turn signal sockets use 1156 bulbs in BA15S bases. These:

Something with a different base (especially multiple contacts) won't be simple on-off bulbs, or won't make good contact in the socket.

First thing to do would be make sure your bulbs are the correct type. Second thing would be to replace your thermal flasher relay with an electronic relay. They sell these at AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. Your flasher relay should be under your seat.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
27 Posts
Do you know what type of bulb and base they were? Some bulbs will have a number code on the metal base. The bulb type doesn't matter as much, so long as it fits in the signal housing. For example, the Rebel's stock turn signal sockets use 1156 bulbs in BA15S bases. These:

Something with a different base (especially multiple contacts) won't be simple on-off bulbs, or won't make good contact in the socket.

First thing to do would be make sure your bulbs are the correct type. Second thing would be to replace your thermal flasher relay with an electronic relay. They sell these at AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. Your flasher relay should be under your seat.

I bought these same type bulbs from auto zone and they didn't work, came across these since I go to Amazon for everything and these worked no problem, without having to do any modifications. Its the same number as the number you posted. The stock bulb base fit in the new blinker and blinked, but I couldn't fit the lens cover on the new blinker, I needed same watt just smaller bulb and these worked. No one else apparently can find these bulbs around that work.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
hello, this is the one i used for my rebel 450, 3 prong, and i added a connector to the 3 wires and it plugged right into the port the old one went into.
CMX250 utilizes a two prong flasher

1 - 17 of 17 Posts