Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post. I bought a 1985 Honda Rebel CMX250C a couple months ago that had set in a garage for a long time so the first thing I did was drain all the fuel from the tank and carb and put fresh gas in, after that it ran fine for a week then it started overflowing so I took the carb apart and cleaned it to the best of my ability but it didn't fix it so I had it rebuilt by a professional and it still overflowed so he rebuilt it again, after that it was good for a couple days then it started to overflow again so I bought a kit and rebuilt it myself but it still overflows so I'm lost as to what could be the issue. It has all new jets, new float valve, new float, new gaskets and a new diaphragm. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it as I don't know a lot about carbs.

·
Super Moderator
29,549 Posts
Welcome. Carb problems can be frustrating. Overflowing carbs are usually due to a leaking or stuck float valve. Sometimes, tapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle will loosen a stuck float valve. If the problem persists, remove the carb and take the bowl off. Check to see if the brass seat the float valve seals against is smooth, there is no indentation ring on the valve's rubber tip (replace if there is), and the valve is fitted properly into the float. Shake the float to be sure it has no gas in it, and if not, hold it under some gas in a container to see if there are any bubbles. If it leaks, replace it. Completely disassemble the carb and blow out every orifice with high pressure compressed air. Next, drain the tank and see if there is any rust inside. If there is, remove it. There's a how to on tank cleaning stickied in the Wrenching section of the forum. Once the tank is clean, install and inline fuel filter to help ensure no cruds get into the clean carb. Install the filter before allowing gas to flow into the cleaned carb. Let us know if this doesn't fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
29,549 Posts
On first generation bikes such as his, the cap is vented and the tank is not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it apart and cleaned it out as well as blowing it out but found the issue was a little metal burr that the float valve was getting stuck on so I got it out and it works great. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts