Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok I have tried to write my riding style, but I really don't know. This is my first bike, and it instantly broke after I purchased it. So I am not sure if it will b very comfortable for my trips to work - about 60km.

After polishing, I saw that some guys use clear lacquer to protect metal from oxidation, but others say, that it can crack. Maybe you have experience with it?

·
Super Moderator
31,103 Posts
In my experience, the factory clear coat will eventually begin to fail and the aluminum begin to oxidize. But I don't wax of polish the aluminum, which might prolong the life of the clear coat. The factory clear coat is fuel resistant, and won't be damaged if gasoline spills on it. Any clear coat that is not two part, isn't going to be fuel resistant, and just a few drops of gas will eat right through it. This is what I mean by a two part clear coat: U. S. Chemical and Plastics 2K Glamour High Gloss Clear Coat, Aerosol, 11.8-oz 3680061 - Walmart.com

·
Registered
442 Posts
I leave polished aluminum bare, that way its patina can grow or I can easily shine it back up by hand a few times a year.

60km is a little over 37 miles, that isn't exactly a short ride. Depending on traffic and speeds you may want to arrive early (when traffic may be less) and stand around drinking coffee and staring at your bike while everyone else scrambles in on time.

Staring at your own bike is a good way to find potential problems before they become hazards. A missing split pin or loose nut/bolt/screw can be found and corrected before riding again.

I don't think it's possible to decide on a style, it just evolves as you go. Do what you like with your bike, paint or polish or rough wire brushed finish, gloss, flat, wrinkle, bright, dark, metal flake. There are so many ways to go, find yours even if it takes many tries, bikes are fun that way. Just make sure it can go and stop when you want it to and you should be ok.

Safety gear is another thing. Local requirements will need to be met, after that you've got some freedom of expression to think about. Helmet, jackets, gloves, pants, overpants, boots, chaps even.

Rain gear, you're eventually going to need it. Some decide to never ride in the rain, some just prepare ahead of time.

I recommend a ride in the rain without rain gear one time just for the experience.

Your style will happen before you find words to express it. You won't even have to think about it. Just enjoy your build, fight your way through any troubleshooting, and enjoy the ride afterward. Keep good notes and some spare keys to your bike in 2 places just in case.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
I leave polished aluminum bare, that way its patina
Rain gear, you're eventually going to need it.
spare keys to your bike in 2 places just in case.
Patina? No, Verdigris. At least that's what I was taught in School. The internet says that what I was taught is wrong? Hmmmmm...
I agree with most all the rest.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts