Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
To my mind, if you're taking it apart already, to check it, & the cost being so low for another one, I'd just replace it whilst in there. But, that's me. And... I'd buy one of the pre-aligned sets. Just pull out the old as a set, & install the new as a set, (making sure to soak it in oil for 8 hours before the job).
Don't forget to check the oil "filter" screen during the process.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes I'd just measure your clutch plates as they are, then rough up the steels and friction plates with 240 grit sandpaper to get a little texture on the surfaces. Soak the friction plates in new engine oil at least overnight before reassembling so they can soak some oil up. Odds are you won't need to replace anything. But please measure your clutch springs, replace them if they're out of spec. they're cheap and it'll make a big difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am reading clymer manual and can't decided what type of clutch I have. red rectangles shows that I have something from both.
Font Parallel Auto part Poster Rectangle

tried to find same on cmsnl, but again they have some similarities, but mine is a bit different from them.
Bearing naming is 16003

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,469 Posts
There were 2 different designs for the Honda rebel 250 clutch activation. Most seem to have the #12 & 13 shown in your picture. The problem is that you are depending on one of the least reliable manuals on the market. Please get a Honda manual. You'll be confused much less often & break fewer bolts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think that bike was only sold in the US and Canada right? How many miles are on it?
Could it be that it has had its clutch replaced before with whatever was available?
Have a look at some of the related fitment on CMSNL, maybe you've got a clutch from a CA200 or something else that Honda sold in many countries?

·
Registered
442 Posts
There should be a Factory Service Manual in the library at www.vintagehondatwins.com

Clymer manuals are good only as beer coasters and to place under your kickstand so you can get better pictures of the left side of your bike.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
We obviously have a low opinion of that brand. Some of us don't even like to say the name. Too many errors have been made due to faulty information or the confusing way in which it was presented.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
pff, I am not sure what is roots of this bike, I am living Lithuania, but bike was registered in Netherlands and in 1995 removed from road.
This is my first bike, and now I am thinking that seller tricked me in buying this. But oh well you live and learn, usually in hard way :D

Odometer is definitely from other bike, not sure from which one, (so it not very reliable source, but it shows about 52K kilometers) :D

Alan, I will look after your link

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds very possible that this bike had gone through several clutches in its lifetime.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
The clutch with normal usage, will last over 20K miles (32K Kilometers). It should only be on its second clutch, possibly still the first.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I just remembered/realized you're talking about a CM250. Still the Honda Service Manual is your best source for accurate information.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The forum I referred to in reply #26 has the Factory Service Manual for CM250 in their library, join up free for access. Its also a really good forum.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good, I was in there last week and thought there was one for just CM250, it may have been an owners manual though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Small update with my project, my side covers were scratched a lot, so I decided to go full aluminum. Should I go mirror polishing or this is just enough? HONDA labels will be painted in red (my obsession)
What is going with bearing, no idea, gave it to father, he gave to some friend of his, so now I am waiting

Automotive lighting Motorcycle Headlamp Motor vehicle Fender

·
Registered
442 Posts
It doesn't take much more to mirror finish them, but what's your style and how will you be riding this bike? I like the red.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts