Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Trying to find parts for my oldie CM250, but I am nor sure if one bearing is the same as in new Honda rebel.

Here you can see new Rebels crankcase parts

And the second one is mine

So as you can see basically all parts are the same except old bike are missing 12 item from list? But even if that one are missing I can see in picture that it should be.

My question is - I am save buying that bearing for a new rebel and using it on my old CM250?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okey I already bought one, will wait for two weeks, if I wanna a genuine one from Honda dealer it will take month and a half or even more :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried taking the old bearing to a store that sells bearings? They can usually get replacements if they don't have a match in stock. And, they usually charge less than a Honda dealership would for the same bearing.
It will be quite difficult, cause not a lot is left from the bearing. Basically it is all gone. And only some remains are left in crankcase.

A bit history why I split crankcase in a first place.
So for some unknown reason my transmission bearing said goodbye (you can it in added picture). Item 18
If some have an idea what caused it would be very appreciated. (this is my first bike, there is giant possibility that I bought it with dead bearings)
Black Automotive tire Rim Engineering Gas

That missing transmission bearing form new Rebel should be on opposite side.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From ebay, it's an 82 right side case:
Yes, Alan, right side!

I can't at this moment send you picture of what is left, but believe me there is nothing readable.I need to extract it maybe there is something on the other side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all, I ordered analog bearing from Poland (genuine from Honda will cost around $35, and will take more than a month to arrive). Hopping to get it next week and will do an update.

P.S. I didn't expected that much help thank you all again, so maybe I will update you with all my work of rebuilding the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello all,

small update got the bearing, looks like should be the same as old one.
Maybe any ideas how to extract remaining of old one?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive design

Automotive tire Tire Watch Motor vehicle Wood

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh nice, well at the moment I gave my crankcase to some guy who maybe will remove them, if not I will try to use your methods.

At the moment I am trying to find my clutch, seems to be a bit different the in the manual.
And a question again, should I change clutch plates? Or first I should measure them individually?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am reading clymer manual and can't decided what type of clutch I have. red rectangles shows that I have something from both.
Font Parallel Auto part Poster Rectangle

tried to find same on cmsnl, but again they have some similarities, but mine is a bit different from them.
Bearing naming is 16003

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
pff, I am not sure what is roots of this bike, I am living Lithuania, but bike was registered in Netherlands and in 1995 removed from road.
This is my first bike, and now I am thinking that seller tricked me in buying this. But oh well you live and learn, usually in hard way :D

Odometer is definitely from other bike, not sure from which one, (so it not very reliable source, but it shows about 52K kilometers) :D

Alan, I will look after your link

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just remembered/realized you're talking about a CM250. Still the Honda Service Manual is your best source for accurate information.
Found one, (2 parts manual) presented as CM185T, but suitable also for CM250 as I understood

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Small update with my project, my side covers were scratched a lot, so I decided to go full aluminum. Should I go mirror polishing or this is just enough? HONDA labels will be painted in red (my obsession)
What is going with bearing, no idea, gave it to father, he gave to some friend of his, so now I am waiting

Automotive lighting Motorcycle Headlamp Motor vehicle Fender

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok I have tried to write my riding style, but I really don't know. This is my first bike, and it instantly broke after I purchased it. So I am not sure if it will b very comfortable for my trips to work - about 60km.

After polishing, I saw that some guys use clear lacquer to protect metal from oxidation, but others say, that it can crack. Maybe you have experience with it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thank you Alan, for advice, I am not that good in expressing my thoughts. But I can see that you are very experienced driver. So I am lucky that you are sharing your wisdom with noobies like me.

Nothing new from engine department, bet finished polishing and painting cases. Not completely satisfied with result, but as a first try it is good enough.

Watch Helmet Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Serveware

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Hello again,

after a month I finally managed to replace bearings with some heath and cold (heated a bit both cases, and putted bearings into a freezer for a night)

But not I am not sure if a just faced a biggest problem, for me it is no need to change camshaft chain tensioner. But odd thing I can't even to remove it, looks like the pin is a bit longer then it should be? Also that pin blocking a camshaft from spinning freely? (it rotates, but only half of a circle)

Tire Sports equipment Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Kitchen appliance Gas Cylinder Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Gas Gear Automotive wheel system Rim

Small update, tried to insert transmission and shift gears, it is quite hard and gear drum sometimes needs to be lifted up to shift into a gear
Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Building Engineering

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Hello have one more question, how deep should be that specific bearing? Cause now it sits at the first grove , should I push it deeper?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Font

found some info from rebel 1986, so it looks like it needed to be more deep, now gears shifts much easier
Rectangle Font Parallel Plan Auto part

1 - 18 of 18 Posts