Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Trying to find parts for my oldie CM250, but I am nor sure if one bearing is the same as in new Honda rebel.

Here you can see new Rebels crankcase parts

And the second one is mine

So as you can see basically all parts are the same except old bike are missing 12 item from list? But even if that one are missing I can see in picture that it should be.

My question is - I am save buying that bearing for a new rebel and using it on my old CM250?

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's a cheap enough part to give it a try.

Post your results here.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lithuania, happy to have you here. Hope our group has the knowledge to help you fix it.🙂

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Have you tried taking the old bearing to a store that sells bearings? They can usually get replacements if they don't have a match in stock. And, they usually charge less than a Honda dealership would for the same bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried taking the old bearing to a store that sells bearings? They can usually get replacements if they don't have a match in stock. And, they usually charge less than a Honda dealership would for the same bearing.
It will be quite difficult, cause not a lot is left from the bearing. Basically it is all gone. And only some remains are left in crankcase.

A bit history why I split crankcase in a first place.
So for some unknown reason my transmission bearing said goodbye (you can it in added picture). Item 18
If some have an idea what caused it would be very appreciated. (this is my first bike, there is giant possibility that I bought it with dead bearings)
Black Automotive tire Rim Engineering Gas

That missing transmission bearing form new Rebel should be on opposite side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Depending on how much of the bearing is left, that and accurate measurements of the inside and outside diameters, may be enough to determine size.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Usually the inner race & the outer race of the bearing have numbers stamped on them that last even through the destruction of the bearings themselves. Use really good magnifiers and look closely at the edge of the bearing.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
My dad showed me a trick when I was young, by putting the bearing in the freezer, and when you take it out try to read it immediately. Wipe off the frost quickly, and then the moisture has the tendency to make some of the letters/numbers more legible.
3X power readers are great for this. (at my age I have several of these)😋
I should have used a different emoji.🤓

·
Registered
445 Posts
From your first post, I took the Rebel bearing part number and looked it up on www.cmsnl.com sometimes they have decent photos of parts...

This should be all of the info you need to source a new bearing and verify that a new one will fit.

Reactions: Bokobob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all, I ordered analog bearing from Poland (genuine from Honda will cost around $35, and will take more than a month to arrive). Hopping to get it next week and will do an update.

P.S. I didn't expected that much help thank you all again, so maybe I will update you with all my work of rebuilding the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
All of us enjoy these small resilient motorcycles very much! Keeping them on the road, & helping others to enjoy the same is our goal.
Yes, updates would be appreciated. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, post a project thread here. We all like pictures and to follow the adventure. There is reassurance and confidence to be gained, small questions can be answered quickly and you'll receive much praise for a job well done.

·
Registered
445 Posts
chemically removing steel from aluminum - Google Search

In your favorite search engine look up these words:

chemically removing steel from aluminum

The cooking spice ALUM is what you need, plus a little water and perhaps some modeling clay to build up the area around the bearing so that you can pour a good amount the ALUM solution over the remains of your old bearing. Then just keep that engine case half in a warm place for a while and check on it each day adding maybe a little water and stirring a little.

The ALUM will actually dissolve the steel but cannot harm the aluminum. This is a good trick for removing broken bolts, even broken drill bits and thread cutting taps. This situation is perfect to use this on.

There are YouTube videos on this as well.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
The method that I have used is hydraulic. I fill the inside of the bearing with grease, And then I use a rod that just barely fits inside the bearing, then hit the rod very quickly with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure pushes the bearing right out. This works well with blind holes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Oooh, it's the first time i've heard of that one!

Sounds easy, cheap and fast, it's got my vote.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh nice, well at the moment I gave my crankcase to some guy who maybe will remove them, if not I will try to use your methods.

At the moment I am trying to find my clutch, seems to be a bit different the in the manual.
And a question again, should I change clutch plates? Or first I should measure them individually?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts