Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A gift to the community. Complete parts list for the built, options, and seating posture analysis.

The hardest part of the built is waiting for the parts. Seriously. Once all parts are on hand, the whole kit can be fabricated and installed in under a day (not counting painting / powder coating time).

In the pictures of the kit installed on the bike, it is the test kit. I left the components bare metal for easier visual understanding. The kit is designed to move the pedals forward 6" or 9" depending on your choice. (Yes, the pictures show the same extension plates for both 6" and 9" on the bike for easier visual understanding). For a 6' person doing mainly city / urban riding, 6" fits better. The 9" extensions are more comfortable for cruising purposes but a tad uncomfortable for up shifting as one has to 'reach and hook' under the shifter to up shift.

Original designer, credit goes to Leshka71
https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f28/homemade-forward-controls-72858.html

Notes:
1. When complete, remove the OEM brake pedal travel stop adjustment bolt.
2. Total Cost varies between $115 - $200, depending which of the various parts methods you chose (I.E. OEM hardware or McMaster, brake pivot bolt OEM seals or McMaster O-Rings, Purchasing new pedals or drilling and tapping OEM brake pedal, etc) and what tooling you already do or do not have (I.E. Thread dies, cutting oil, etc)

When deciding which extension length to go with, go down the page in the same color column (6" grey color, 9" tan color). All info here is for BOTH extensions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
i think i'm seeing double - 2 footpegs ?
Quoting the OP: "the pictures show the same extension plates for both 6" and 9" on the bike for easier visual understanding".

My issue is with the seating stance pics depicting a bike that didn't exist with a seat height that didn't exist even if the bike itself did. :D

No Rebels in 2010-11 and every production model had a 26.5" seat height. ;)

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Jeez,,,, 6 feet tall and a 39 inch inseam? Now those are some long legs! How would your knees not hit the handlebars?

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
That's KLR650 candidacy. :thumb:

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Yep. or R1200GS, a little more the correct size. Seriously though, a Rebel is a bit too small for someone with legs that long.

Looking at the photos, I wonder how rigid the footpeg extensions are? Do the footpegs move around much?

·
Banned
767 Posts
I built something similar to that for my former '04, but with 1/4" thick extension plates. It helped, but I still sat on the very back of the front seat, and that is very painful. I have the BCB setup on my 2016, but still sit on the back of the seat, I strapped a pillow to the seat and that helped. Is that a Corbin seat? Been thinking about one of those.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Guys, not going to purchase another motorcycle, 5 is enough. The Rebel is not my daily ride, it's more of a project bike. As for the rigidity of it, the pedals move from the rubber dampers before the plates flex. I can rock the bike side to side before the plates flex. Now, if the bike falls over, I'm pretty sure they will survive and the bike will be usable. However, after a 50+ mph crash, can't say they will not deform.

I made the list for others to use as a guide since gatering parts and determining what does and doesn't fit together is the hardest part for someone to start a project like this. Now it can be easily duplicated. And the fact that 9" forward extension is possible was :eek2:

Corbin seat, IMO well worth the upgrade in USED condition. My wife and I both find the bike a lot more comfortable now.

·
Banned
767 Posts
My knees almost did hit the bars without the forward controls, and I have a 34" inseam. I bought my 2016 brand new, at a seriously discounted price from a dealer who doesn't add on too many fees. I bought it on impulse after seeing the pictures of the new bike that "replaces" the Rebel in Honda's lineup. This is not my first Rebel, it is my 4th. My first was a brand new 1985. Then two used ones, then this one. I have sat on the Yamaha V-Star 250, and it is by far more comfortable for someone my size (6' 240) But I didn't want just another small bike, I wanted a Rebel, and this was my last chance to get a new one for a great price. I do not ride it very much. I have a few (6 total) much larger bikes, but since I am disabled and my condition is slowly getting worse, I figure at some point the Rebel may be the only one I can ride. Corbin seats are hard to find used. And it makes me wonder why they are being sold. Back in '01, I bought a new KLR650. The seat was terrible, actually it was beyond terrible. It was like sitting on the narrow edge of a 2x4. So I bought a Corbin. Somehow (I really have no idea how) it was even worse. I sold it for about half price, put the stock seat back on, and sold the bike about a year later.

Here is the forward control kit I got from BCB It's expensive, but looks good, and I didn't want to start all over and build one from scratch. https://bluecollarbobbers.com/shop/forward-controls-1989-newer-will-not-fit-450-rebel/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts