Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard somewhere that the engine doesnt like it (Based on high rpm etc) but the question is, will it just make it wear faster like any engine at high rpm or is it something else?

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
These engines are pretty bulletproof, and designed to run at very high revs.
I often run long distances, 200 miles +, 2 up, meaning under a heavy load, at 60 mph or above. One of my Rebels has 49,000 miles on it. The other one I've just got barely 13,000.
There are some here with over 100,000.
You'll get more responses soon stating something similar. But it is VERY important to do your oil changes. Many do these every 1000 miles. I do it about 2×/season which isn't really enough.

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
I've run a Rebel 250 at WOT for hours at a time (except for refueling) when riding an Interstate. Not sure I buy into the engine wearing faster at high speed. An air-cooled engine runs cooler the more air flow around it.

· Registered
CMX 250, 1996
87 Posts
It's not a problem at all.
At 60 mph the Rev's are not that high either if you riding in 5 gear.
I often ride 60 mph in 4 gear on country roads, for in these region the bike has most Power.
Therefore, the max HP is at about 8500 rpm wich is about 60 mph in 4 Gear.
At that speed in 5 Gear you can run it all day long.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
As said above by Kreuzi, the peak power at 60mph is in 4th gear. 5th is good, with my gearing, up to above 85 mph, though I'd never recommend this high speed for anyone on these small motorcycles.

· Registered
37 Posts
50 mph max for me. 60 at more than a mile is miserable. The vibration from the 250 is insane. It’s not made for that speed. Sure someone could do it….the bike would most likely outlast anybody at those speeds.

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
Either I'm used to the vibration, or your bike vibrates more than mine. As stated, I've ridden mine all day at WOT.

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
You should check & probably replace all your engine mounts. Mine do not vibrate like that. I've riden all day long on both of my Rebels without problems like that.

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
Hondarider my first thoughts are, do you have handlebar end weights still installed..

I ignored Honda torque spec and loosened riser rubber bushing just a bit..
not much give in rock hard 35yo rubber bushings.

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
I had the same thought about the handlebar weights SoakedKarma. I don't have the original weights on mine because one of mine fell off when I was riding. The only ones I could find to replace them were aluminum. But I added long weights & bolts for the inside attachment anchors. No problems.

· Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Emil all 5 are fine.
SK-come to think about it one weight did fall off years ago but I replaced it with a factory replacement. This ‘04 had 2,300 miles when I bought it 16 yrs ago. It’s possible it’s got an issue I suppose, but I highly doubt it. It’s been consistent and also been an awesome bike. Definitely the most reliable honda I’ve ever own.
I have punished it while I took a punishment too. But always have taken good care of it while it’s never once let me down.

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
These Rebels have been described again & again as 'pretty bullet proof'.
Some have complained of too much vibration, but most times the problem was found, & fixing it made for a much better ride.
Keep at it, you'll find the culprit.

Reactions: Hondarider

· Registered
37 Posts
Yes, I’m currently working on it. Good day for bike maintenance. Started looking at the chain and sprocket with at least 11,000 miles on it. It’s got 13,300 so I’m assuming it’s original.

I adjusted the chain and it’s half way to replace Maybe my new tires. I never did check if they were balanced. Might want to replace the rubber bushings in handle bar mount like suggested too.
Apparently, I can’t count because now I count 6 motor mount bolts counting the one up front with the rubber bushings.
Realize I went off track with the vibration and I do agree the engine can handle 60+. I just prefer a little slower. Thanks guys, for the push

· Premium Member
3,806 Posts
I remember once when I got a flat rear tire & used fix-a-flat to get home. That caused lots of bouncing in the rear of my Rebel after re-tubing the tire. It could be a part of the problem.

· Super Moderator
32,891 Posts
An easy way to determine if the chain and sprockets need to be replaced is to face the rear sprocket and pull back on the chain at the three o'clock position. If it moves much at all it's replacement time.

Reactions: Hondarider
1 - 20 of 21 Posts