Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't care much for the crash bars I've seen mounted to 250 Rebels. But in my searching, here on the forum, I stumbled onto a picture that shows just a bar with foot pegs.

When I bought my bike, I had a custom Cobin lowered seat made for it so my wife could handle the bike. Turns out even the custom seat wasn't low enough for her to reach the ground. So I'm sitting with my knees in my chin. (slight exaggeration) I'd like to be able to stretch my legs out a little bit when I'm on a long stretch out of city traffic. I've never seen these before. Anyone know where I can find these bars?

Super Moderator

no longer available but maybe that would help your search - that one wouldn't work on a rebel anyways - you need something made for a single downtube

if it were me i would cut off a piece of pipe and weld some flanges to it - attach some pegs on the end - call it a day

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Keith. Much appreciated. At least I can quit fretting about it! 馃槃 I may just have to take your suggestion. Just didn't really want to go to that much trouble.

Super Moderator
I could build one for you if you're interested.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I can build it myself. Just didn't want to bother with it. How high up the tube would a straight bar be typically mounted on the 250 Rebel?

Super Moderator
where it feels right... you would have to incorporate the engine mount to make it rigid so pipe bending would probably be involved

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've never ridden with forward pegs, so I have no idea "where it feels right". Just out of curiosity, what would you make one for?

Super Moderator
If you need some foot pegs for the end of the bar, I have several sets of NIB chrome O-ring pegs I'm selling for $20, shipping included. These are aftermarket pegs made for HD, and they are very good quality. If you're interested, I can send pictures.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Still pondering what I want to do.............or if I even want to bother with it. I'll let you know if I'm going to tackle the project.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
.....................................and still pondering. I just completed going through 402 pages of pictures of members bikes in the Gallery. I saw this crash bar in several places, but on page 318, pictures 9, 13 and 14 show it really clearly. THAT is the bar I'm after. Looks as if it would be really stable, small and out of the way visually. (especially after I get it coated black) Anyone know what it is called, or where I might find one? I've looked all over the Internet and can't find that bar anywhere..............anywhere "In Stock".

Super Moderator
Here is a Chinese made engine guard similar to what you describe. For Honda Ca250 CMX250 CMX250C Motorcycle Engine Guard Crash Bar Bumper Part | eBay

I bought one of these and it arrived badly rusted. The chrome was flaking off and it was made of very thin tubing. If the bike goes down, and the guard hits the ground, it will fold up like an accordion Some members that bought this item reported no problems with it (at least initially). Removing or roughing up the chrome in preparation for painting should be relatively easy. I later found a NOS American made guard that was probably copied by the Chinese to make theirs. I got the last one the seller had in stock and AFAIK, the last one available. I'm 5' 11" and when I want to stretch my legs out, I have to hang my ankles on the pegs. There really isn't a comfortable angle for me to put the sole of my boots on the pegs as they are too high, even when mounted as low as possible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that's it. Thin and frail, huh? Might better make to my own out of gas pipe! I'm 5'10" with long legs. I might just have to forget forward pegs. Sure do envy watching Harley riders on the highway with their legs out in front of them. I can almost envision the blood flowing gently through their veins. 馃榿 Oh well. It's a tiny bike. It is what it is.

Super Moderator
If you go the custom route, you could make a Z shaped highway bar that extends farther out but wouldn't interfere with turning the front wheel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that's a thought I'd not considered.

Did you read my private "Conversation"?

Registered
I saved a photo of custom highway pegs that someone posted on here at some point. I don't remember who it was but maybe tomorrow I'll do a reverse image search so I can give them credit. Anyway, here's the setup I found that looks pretty good and I want to try it when I get some free time.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry but I'm just now seeing this. Been out of town and away from my PC. Not to put down anyone's solution, and I could be wrong, but looking at that picture, I'd be of the opinion that would be a pretty flimsy solution. If nothing else, it looks as it it's only connected to the frame in one spot. Looks as if it would be pretty easy to push on one side and skew it to the opposite side of the bike.

Super Moderator
Most bars mount to either side of the front engine mount, which will require a longer bolt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18

Super Moderator
Looking at that bar, I have to wonder why the (condensation?) weep holes are so large, and why they aren't all located at the bottom.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Don't know. I contacted the seller and they (he-she-or it) didn't know when they'd be available once again. Maybe they are addressing that particular problem. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts