Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2012 rebel 250 from a friend. It has 435 miles on it, cleaned out the carburetor, drained and filled with fresh fuel, got it running and took it down the road approx 1/4 of a mile and it died. It would not go back into neutral. Had to push start it but now neutral light will not come on, blinker and horn does not work anymore, as well as will not start. Checked fuses and all are good, battery is charged with proper voltage, kick swith is operational, what am i missing

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Will not start?? does it crank or not?
if it doesn't crank or the head light doesn't come on with ignition switch in On position my guess is blown 20A main fuse located on the starter relay..

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
Welcome to forum . Glad u got it sorced

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys so replaced the battery with the correct brand new one and still having the same issue. All fuses are good. Bike will not attempt to crank, no neutral light. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
29,133 Posts
Try jumping it from a car battery, but be sure the car engine is off when you do. If it cranks, the bike battery is weak.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
While I have found AGM sealed batteries pre-charged, flooded lead acid batteries need a slow Less then 2 amp charge for several hours after filling to fully charge..

That said, I assume you have a volt meter.. 12v test light with long lead works well too..

with tester neg lead hooked to battery negative, check for voltage on both blades of Starter Relay 20A Main fuse while it's plugged in.. if Both metal blades have power move on down the circuit.. One blade only blown fuse..

check the frame to battery neg cable ground by removing the bolt cleaning contact surfaces, bolting the cable back to frame..

Assuming you have voltage on both blades exposed end of 20A main fuse (attached to starter relay) check for voltage at fuse block w/ign switch On..

No voltage at any fuse block fuses would mean voltage isn't passing from main fuse through ignition switch... So let's check ignition switch, connector is located in junction box under headlight.. Unplug the Red wire from ign switch lead, check for voltage at female bullet connector.. if you have voltage on red wire problem is in switch or from switch to fuse block..

Yes voltage at fuse block, check Wire Harness Black circuit, also found in junction box.. Make sure you are testing the black wire coming from frame harness..

as you may see, progressively testing each section of circuit to find fault..

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts