Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all got a 86 rebel that till today has been fine the po didn’t take care of it so it’s been my baby to bring back seems there’s a oil leak coming from what appears to me as the head oil residue on the cooling fins were exhaust bolts onto the engine my question is how big of job it will be for the home mechanic can do. I have attached a couple photos there hard to see when I get a chance I’ll bring it out too the light and get some better photos hopefully someone on here can tell me what to order for parts and hopefully it don’t cost an arm and a leg to get fixed thank you all

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Starts and idles fine just smokes like crazy from that area as the oil is leaking onto the muffler and the fins as I mentioned I’m really hoping for a easy fix as I’m hoping to enjoy the bike this summer.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
It's hard for me to see exactly where the oil is coming from. But if the rubber valve cover gasket isn't properly seated, it will definitely leak oil. Suggest you remove the cover, inspect the gasket to be sure it is seated properly, and eliminate that as a cause.

In the pics, at least one exhaust stud has been broken and then probably drilled and tapped it (off center?) and replaced it with a bolt. If they tapped into the crankcase, it's going to leak oil. If that's the case, probably the cheapest fix is an engine swap or replacement head.

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea one of the studs was tapped by the po but engine ran fine with no leak from there until just recently. If it’s the head seems like it’s the holy grail as I can’t find any on the internet. I’ll pull the head and double check the valve cover gasket. How hard is it to change the head if that’s the case?

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at that one too looking a little closer at the pictures and the bike I’m thinking it may be leaking from the head cover gasket and leaking onto the pipes I’m thinking maybe start there buy a new gasket should I put a little rtb gasket maker on the new one or just put it in and hope for the best? I was also thinking of replacing the rubber gasket for the head bolts too they have to be old too. Would I have to pull engine to get the head cover off or can I pull the tank and have enough access?

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
If it's the head cover gasket leaking due to misalignment, you may be able to use the existing one if it hasn't been damaged/permanently crimped. Just be sure the gasket is fitted into its groove before tightening it down. WARNING!! The torque value for the cover bolts is 7 foot pounds, which is quickly reached after the gasket meets the cover. Over tightening often leads to pulling the aluminum threads in the cover, and you want to avoid that. Do not use gasket maker. If the gasket and cover are properly aligned, it won't leak, and gasket maker has a way of breaking loose and getting into parts of the engine. If the head bolt gaskets leak, oil will be visible in the bolt recess on top of the cover. I'm of the school "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." While you may be able to get by just pulling the tank, it would involve a lot of contortions, and in my case, cussing, to work on it like that, assuming it's even possible. I'd pull the engine.

·
Registered
1986,Honda rebel 250
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for your help my next day off I’ll be digging into it and I’ll let you know what I come up with

·
Registered
243 Posts
100% sure that bolt hole is drilled into the hole where the head bolts go through. So from the moment you start the engine, oil pushes out and leaks onto the exhaust.
Changing a head ain't much of a job, just as long you know what you're doing of course. Fixing up that stud hole on the other hand is a complete different story. The third picture doesn't look promising towards a happy outcome...
So my advise would also be, find a head if the rest of the engine is working as it should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts