Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone please help! I have an 87 Rebel 250 that had a worn starter clutch. It would start up right away every single time, but if I tried to restart after it was warm, the starter would just spin. I bought a replacement from eBay, it was not on the oem, but I assume a Chinese part.

The disassembly and assembly seemed to go fine. The only slight snag was that the back of the new starter clutch wasn't recessed for the bolt heads like the old one was. I tightened it gorilla tight and put everything back together.

Now the bike takes several times to start, which is uncharacteristic of it. It never used to take more than one second on the starter to get it going. Now it takes several attempts. Furthermore, it sounds like the starter is still spinning when the bike is running. If you see the video, you will know what I mean. The bike will often stall with a loud bark before quitting.

Video: 87 Rebel 250 new starter clutch problems

Please tell me what I did wrong. I feel like an idiot, and I have to go to bed because I work early, so I'm too demoralized to wrench on it anymore.

Thanks fellas,

Yazman
Bicycle part Rim Font Circle Auto part

Wheel Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Font

Product Bicycle part Font Auto part Circle

·
Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
375 Posts
Did you keep the old parts? I have done several of these and i never replaced parts. All that was required was cleaning. If you search old threads you will find corroboration. If it was me i would clean and replace the old parts, maybe using the springs if they are better. Please don’t take my word for it- look at past comments from experts.

·
Registered
1987 Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great...... starting working in the bike at 6a before work. Installed all the old parts (besides new spring, magnet, and cup thing) and now the starter doesn't even work. It just makes a buzzing/groaning noise but doesn't turn over the engine. I don't know what is going on......

EDIT: I unscrewed an extra long bolt (not stock) that looks like it was contacting the starter wire. I don't know if it grounded it out or anything, but whatever the case it is working now. I have no idea what is going on, but I'll take it.

·
Registered
1987 Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Took it for a quick quarter mile ride. All seems fine except now my neutral light is constantly on. I bet I pinched the wire with the side cover. I'll check after work. Still spooked that the start wasn't working

·
Registered
1987 Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, someone please tell me why my starter is barking and honking like a goose. It never did that until I replaced the starter clutch internals with the cheap Chinese eBay stuff. It also could be my lack of skills and knowledge and improper installation.

About one out of every five starts it will bark or honk like a goose as it's firing up.

Take pity on me. Someone say something!

·
Registered
1987 Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still believe that your problems would go away if you reinstalled the old parts.
Everything is the old parts except the spring, spring cap, and magnet roller. It starts way better, just that odd barking noise. Does the clutch need to be greased or lubed? I sprayed it all out with carb cleaner

·
Registered
1987 Rebel 250
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike now honks every time it starts. If it is not harmful, I don't really care. Even though my wife makes fun of me because she says my motorcycle sounds like a dying goose.

I can't find much using the search function. I did find this from Duckster:

The noise is not really a problem. It is the rollers in the starter clutch sliding on the metal surface of the inner part of the clutch. The rollers get flattened off and do not roll into full engagement. At this stage they need to be replaced with 3 new rollers and springs. Not big money for parts, but the labour involves removing the left side cover (no problem since it is a dry cover with no oil in it) and pulling the flywheel to access the starter clutch on the back of the flywheel. Special tools to do it yourself include an impact screwdriver to remove the clutch, and a screw type flywheel puller and possibly a strap wrench to remove the flywheel. You will also need a metric socket set to remove the cover. All of these tools are lifetime investments that will enable you to work on this and future motorcycles you may own.

I replaced my starter clutch springs, rollers, and spring caps from a Chinese unit. The installation seemed to go fine. Do I need to lube the rollers or anything? I sprayed it all out with carb cleaner before I assembled it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts