Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I’m based in Austria and got caught up in a flash flood incident last night as we keep getting smashed by these heavy rain events.

My Rebel 450 was in the garage in our apartment block which is about a meter below ground level. The flood was so quick that the drain couldn't cope and the flood water filled the garage to about 60cm depth.

I came home to a garage full of mud/silt. The water level was just below the seat on my bike judging by the silt sitting on the top of the cylinder block… 🤦‍♂️

So my assumption is it is likely water has penetrated the carburettor and possibly kept going into the top of the cylinders. Also entertaining the possibility that water flowed in via the exhaust pipes assuming the cams aren’t air tight. I don’t even want to think about electrics…

Any thoughts / advice, places to start would be much appreciated. I figure the tank, carb, exhaust and head probably need to come off for a start.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
that's terrible - i would say whatever you do, don't wait to do it

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
What you suggest sounds like a good way to begin. If water got into the air filter, it may have made it's way into the crankcase as well via the vent tube. Parking it in the sun may help the electronics dry faster. Pull all the bulbs and clean the sockets with plastic safe electronics cleaner. Probably a good idea to do that with all the bullet connections too, then apply dielectric grease before reassembling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
pull off carbs drain and clean them, take out spark plugs, pour some gas down in the intake manifolds and kick er over a few times so that the gas will flush out the cilinders, let everything dry for a few minits then put everything back together and see if you can get er to start, if you can keep it running 4 a while let it run and it will dry its-self out, change oil first, then change it again after you run it 4 a while,, the quicker you can get this done the better off you will be, you shouldent have any trouble, good luck with it..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Remove tank and seats and get the high pressure washer out!
Clean it up first. Then drain the carbs, empty the exhaust. Remove spark plugs with the carbs off. With new oil and filter start the bike to a point the oil light turns off. Then put the carbs back on and get it running.

Let's say; priority is to get heat in the engine, preferably due to running it asap!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys thanks you all so much for your advice. I was stressing hard as couldn’t attack this until today as I was out of the country for a few days...

Long story short, pulled the plugs, exhaust, airbox, carbs and got cleaning. Silty sludge water in both intake ports so assumed valves closed and cylinders dry. Depressing feeling using compressed air to blast the crud water out then putting more (clean) water in and repeating. Ports were spotless after. Cleaned floats etc (had fuel + water) and anything else silty then reassembled. Fired first time!

I’ll change oil and filter tomorrow and chase why my rh rear indicator is out (bulb good). Assume wet contacts. Any suggestions on oil?

Also there is a small set screw on each carb just before the rubber biot that joins the carb to the intake port. My right cylinder is running very rich (had flames out of the exhaust port when running with the exhaust off) and was getting a power drop when riding and applying full throttle (this was before flooding incident. Rh plug was also very black). Can I lean the cylinder by adjusting the mentioned screw?

·
Registered
260 Posts
That might be a CDI that gave in. Do you have a spare?
I am in the Netherlands btw. If you need any parts, just PM me, I have everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts