Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man, I am screwed. Broke up with the ex who was allegedly going to be helping me with my ride which is pretty much my only transpo. I have a 2001 rebel 250 and my poor little buddha had an issue with one of the two bolts that holds some kind of gasket onto the engine around the exhaust pipes on the right side of the bike. One of them snapped off so part of it is stuck in the engine. It sounds terrible--like the worlds largest baseball card is in my spokes--and i've been told it will mess up the pistons or something. I am a total newb though i have ridden it a ton. Is there a temporary fix that will make it rideable? I called a local shop but they dont have anything sooner than 3 weeks out. I don't want to mess up my baby but i really need to ride.
Ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated, and if yr in the memphis area, actual help would be a godsend. I want to do my own wrenching as much as possible but have so few tools. The ones he "gave" me are utter crap and break in normal use. Help is greatly greatly appreciated!! I rode this baby from memphis to the smoke out in south carolina last year and i want to go to atlanta this month before summers over. please help!!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
About the only way you can fix a broken exhaust stud is to drill it out and put in a helicoil, I had this happen on my shadow 600 I had a couple years ago. You can buy the helicoils at just about any auto parts store, I used the M8 size on the shadow, and that would probably work on the rebel. you could get the dealer to do the work for you, but not sure what it would cost, you might find local indi shop that will do the work cheaper, or you can always attempt it yourself.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Has this been resolved yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
you can get a screw extractor kit (easy out set) which lets you drill a hole in the broken stud and then the screw extractor which is like a left hand drill bit and try that. If that doesnt work you can try getting just a left hand drill bit set (any hardware store should have both of these). If either of those dont work you can go with the helicoil but you should make this your last resort because the helicoils are not always reliable and can cause the same problems all over again. and one more thing you can get the same size drill bit as the bolt and drill the bolt out but be careful not to drill to deep or else you will mess up the head then re tap the head for whatever size bolt you replace it with.

let me know how it works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts