Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what happened. The other day, I'm ridding and when I get home, I notice my key is missing from the ignition. I kill the bike with the emergency switch and am able to turn it off using a screwdriver in the ignition. I only have one key and know I can get another one made if I can get the numbers off the the ignition cylinder or gas cap. While the screwdriver was good enough to turn off the bike, It's not good enough to start it or take the gas cap off. My lock picking skills are woefully in adequate (and I lack the proper tools) so what other ways are there to get this code?
Anyone ever have this issue and how did you solve it? Thanks ya'll.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Key code should be found on back of helmet lock once it is removed
Rumor has it the fork lock also has it stamped on back

Reactions: Bokobob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SoakedKarma. Unfortunately, my bike has neither a helmet lock nor a fork lock. It's an '85 that's been bobbed out. I have no idea how many people owned it before me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You'll have to buy a new ignition and tank cap set from EBay. This is why I hate & avoid bobbers and other crappy modified bikes.. Too many people out there see a few clips of Orange County Choppers and think they can have a go at professional art

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Remove the fork lock. The code is under it, and it's the easiest to remove. Turn the handlebars all the way in one direction, and remove the accessible Phillips head bolt. Turn the bars all the way in the other direction and remove the remaining bolt. A hand impact screwdriver will ensure the heads aren't damaged in the process. Putting some blue thread locker on the screws will make sure they don't vibrate out.

Reactions: Bokobob

·
Registered
143 Posts
if an ignition lock is all you have.... the number will likely be located there as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
All keyed items are stamped with the key code. Get the key code and buy a cut key from ebay with your code - $10. Some locksmiths may also have the key bitting details and the cost will be less generally. Some dealers have this as well but the cost will be more than $10.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts