Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Long time no post, but I recently purchased a 1985 "project". I tried removing the choke cable and all I got was a spring and a tiny bit of something. When I looked inside the hole, I saw what I am hoping is a brass plunger with two tabs on each side (which I have subsequently broken off when trying to remove it.) This thing is stuck! I have used carb cleaner, , Seafoam deep creep to no avail. I have drilled a small hole in the brass and inserted more then one screw pulling with all my might, and nothing. My last attempt was a sheet metal screw with a hex head, hoping I could "torque" it loose, and the screw broke off in the hole, of the brass I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Oh dear! Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? Putting it in there for ½ hour might help a lot.
The fuel enricher (choke) IIRC, is a cylinder with holes in the sides. The cleaner should be able to get through these to loosen it for you.
Although we've not spoken before, welcome back!

·
Administrator
5,077 Posts
Hey there. Long time no post, but I recently purchased a 1985 "project". I tried removing the choke cable and all I got was a spring and a tiny bit of something. When I looked inside the hole, I saw what I am hoping is a brass plunger with two tabs on each side (which I have subsequently broken off when trying to remove it.) This thing is stuck! I have used carb cleaner, , Seafoam deep creep to no avail. I have drilled a small hole in the brass and inserted more then one screw pulling with all my might, and nothing. My last attempt was a sheet metal screw with a hex head, hoping I could "torque" it loose, and the screw broke off in the hole, of the brass I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!
The OEM plunger is steel. As Emil said, maybe an ultrasonic bath would help. If the carb is that far gone it may not be savable. Have you been able to remove all the other bits?

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Soak it with penetrating fluid every 12 hours or so for a couple of days. Insert screw in drilled hole, tap it lightly with a small hammer, and see if it will pull/twist out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again. Here are few photos as promised. First is the mess I have made in the choke plunger hole. I now have broken off two screws. 😡 I think my new motto is going to be “if it ain’t fixed don’t break it.” I let a pool of Seafoam deep creep stay in the hole for 24 hours or longer. (No help). I am ready to try soaking it. I have come across a “Pine Sol” as carb cleaner page. Any thoughts? Also another picture is of the throttle and the mysterious hole bottom right with white stuff coming out of it. Could this be part of the problem? Also, now that I basically have two screws broken off in the brass, have I expanded the brass to the point where it is just not going to come out. Is it possible to have someone drill it out completely? If this is beyond repair, where do I acquire a new used carb or at least the body part I need. The third picture shows green funk that is in the float bowl. Thanks for everyone’s input! I anxiously await your responses.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
You forgot to post the pics. But yes, I think that you've probably expanded it. Do you have a tool with capabilities like a Dremmel? You might be able artfully to slice the side & get it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about that. Photos are above this post. I do have a dremel. What do you mean “artfully slice the side?

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I used to work fiber optics, so if you have an extremely skillful hand, like a doctor's, then you may be able to get in there and cut the side of the brass from the aluminum without damaging it.
But before you do any of that, you definitely need to run it through an ultrasonic cleaner. I know Harbor Freight has them for around $70 right now. I don't know your financial situation but this is relatively inexpensive for how much it can/will help you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good. I am friends with a mechanic up the road, and they may have one. Any thoughts on Pine Sol as a carb dip/cleaner?

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
Your mechanic probably can recommend a fluid for the ultrasonic cleaner if he doesn't have some on hand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am awaiting a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner I purchased off of eBay. Should be here tomorrow. I will keep y’all posted.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
While a carb body can be left in chem dip for week or more I wouldn't leave part exposed to ultrasound for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.. Move/rotate body between cleaning periods so cavitation doesn't pit it..

Simple-Green Purple, Pine-Sol, are claimed to be good with ultrasonic and aluminum,, warning against using Simple Green green due to aluminum reaction to its high alkalinity..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts